Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not too sure what I'm trying to do, but I have a good idea of what I want to do. I want to run multiple instances of a linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Simultaneous X-Sessions on one computer?

I'm not too sure what I'm trying to do, but I have a good idea of what I want to do. I want to run multiple instances of a linux operating system, while having background sessions.

At the moment, I'm trying to use a click-and-point macro created via Xmacro on some images, because the current image programs aren't good enough. However, doing it this way is highly time consuming. Also, by running the macro, it disables me from using the mouse and keyboard. All I can do is look at it, while the computer processes the images via the macro.

Now, I was reading about these things called "sessions," and I was wonder what the possibility of creating multiple background sessions would be. I want to increase productivity, so I figured multiple backgrounds of the same thing running would make the process go so much faster. To say the least, I'm trying to turn my computer into five computers by having four background sessions all doing the same thing and one simply letting me do whatever or look at the processes being done via remote control.

The processes don't take a lot of memory, so I don't see why I can't split the computer into 5. I have multiple computers, so I could just have 3 on each.

However, I don't really know how to do any of this. I looked on the web, and I found some thing that might relate to what I want to know, but I'm not too sure.

1) Yahoo! Groups
    2) Linux Journal | ("Switching between Running X Sessions")

I was hoping some of the people here could give me hints and help.

So, how do I obtain simultaneous X-Sessions running on one computer? How do I get them all to run at the same time? I'm not talking about them saving their point after I switch. I don't plan on switching, perhaps viewing them from a distance with remote control. How do I get each one to act like its own processor doing tasks at the same time?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

oz
    forum.guy
    Xnest might do what you want:

Fun with Xnest | Matto's webzijden :: Linux en meer

I've never used it so don't know anything about putting it into action. You can find more about it by googling: xnest
    oz