Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am having problem with my X-windows. My systems are in a network, with authentication through NIS and mounted home directory through autofs. Recently, we changed the permission of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Users cannot login to the X-windows

Hi, I am having problem with my X-windows. My systems are in a network, with authentication through NIS and mounted home directory through autofs. Recently, we changed the permission of user's home to 711 (it was 755). After the change take place, all users cannot login to the X-windows (KDE or gnome), except root. However, if the runlevel of the system is decreased to 3, users are able to enter the X-windows using startx. I wonder what prevents the users from entering the X-windows through login screen. We tried to change the permission again to 755 without any result.

I am using Redhat 9, kernel 2.4.20-8, Gnome 2.2 and KDE 3.1.

Anybody have the clue?

Linux Guru
    Do you mean that x won't start, or that their password is denied?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

users cannot login to the X-windows -- (partially) solved

X was started and gave me the login screen. However, if I enter normal user account, the X give me a grey screen. After a while I will be back to the login screen again. I watch the process that was running during that time, it seems like all process (leading to the X runs very slow). The 'startkde' was executed but doesn't give me the X. The /var/log/message doesn't give me any clue. It gives me a log that I was trying to log in and then logged out.

But the problem is solved now. These are the step that I did:
    1. Remove all '.' directories and files related to X windows
    2. start with initlevel 3
    3. startx --> I will get clean new profiles for X windows in my home
    4. chmod everything to 755
    5. start with initlevel 5
    6. Login to the x-windows
    7. chmod everything to 711
    8. enjoy

Does anyone knows what was causing that problem?
    I thought the problem was caused by the '.' files/directories of x-windows related in home directory. It that's the case, I may solve it by copying new profiles to all users (that i want to try now). However, I have quite a bunch of user, is there anything easier than that?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close