Find the answer to your Linux question:
I woluld like to know if it is possible to run a GUI application that uses high resolution display without having to lounch the desktop system such GNOME or KDE. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Running GUI applications without GNOME or KDE

I woluld like to know if it is possible to run a GUI application that uses high resolution display without having to lounch the desktop system such GNOME or KDE.
    Just have one graphic application running like for example "Mozzilla Firefox" and that being the only application on the screen.
    It's that possible? And if it is, can you tell me how to do it?
    Thanks a lot.

It's very possible. Just adjust your .xinitrc accordingly and make sure a display manager isn't running.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Your .xinitrc by default contains a command to launch a display manager and the tty reserved for it. Make sure it does not contain a command such as
    Code:
    exec startkde
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

That's not necessarily true; most systems run the display manager as root (in fact, I'm fairly certain that most display managers won't let you run them as non-root) and as a system service. For example, running gdm for me on Arch would be something like running /etc/rc.d/gdm start, or adding gdm to my rc.conf file.

So what you need to do is disable the display manager (if you're using Arch, remove it from rc.conf), and edit $HOME/.xinitrc to exec firefox or whatever you want to do.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Hi guys, I'm running Debian I already disabled the desktop manager, so I'm in my bash shell (if I need the desktop I type 'startx').
    Back to the pure shell if I type the name of a GUI executable from the pure bash I get an error message complaining about the display.
    Now the question is: how or what other component do I need to invoke togheter with the GUI application that allows to use the high resolution display to run that single application?
    Thanks

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    I would suggest to make a script with the following contents ..lets call this script klaunch (k being the initial of my family name )
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rm ~/.xinitrc
    echo exec $1 > ~/.xinitrc
    startx
    Add this script in your path (or place it in /usr/bin)
    Now to start firefox we would say
    Code:
    klaunch firefox
    To launch kde say
    Code:
    klaunch startkde
    In fact if you want uniformity you can declare cases and then use shortcuts!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!

Red face Semi Success!

Hi apoorv, thanks for your help, I tried your suggestion and it worked !!
    It works with Firefox and others, but for some reason it doesn't work with rdesktop (the termnal services client to control a MS Windows machine)
    I tried it with -g 1024x768 (geometry) option and also -f (full screen). [those options work fine if I start it from the Gnome desktop]
    It just fails from the pure bash, and the error message gets lost when it comes back to text mode.
    I guess rdesktop accesses X in a different way than other applications?
    Any clues?
    Thanks.