Find the answer to your Linux question:
For no apparent reason one of our Scientific Linux boxes suddenly has the windows, when minimized, disappearing instead of sitting in the panel as usual; the panel is there, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

minimized windows disappearing

For no apparent reason one of our Scientific Linux boxes suddenly has the windows, when minimized, disappearing instead of sitting in the panel as usual; the panel is there, but a blank box now - nothing else is there - minimized windows or anything else. I've poked around but don't seem to see anything that would either be responsible for the behavior or a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have Ubuntu on two machines, Scientific Linux on 2 and SUSE 8.1 on another. The SUSE box is the only one that I can see my hard drives on. SL and Ubuntu show the floppy, the CD and the Network, but no HD. I understand mounting, but I though Ubuntu did that automatically. Since it doesn't, what would I do the get the HD's to show?

I've been using various distro's of Linux for several years now but only casually and I'm not a programer, so you might want to keep that in mind as you post a reply.

For no apparent reason one of our Scientific Linux boxes suddenly has the windows, when minimized, disappearing instead of sitting in the panel as usual; the panel is there, but a blank box now - nothing else is there - minimized windows or anything else. I've poked around but don't seem to see anything that would either be responsible for the behavior or a way to fix it.
    right click on Panel, select 'Add Applet to Panel'. add Task Bar or Windows List. you have to check it in the Applets list. its Task Bar in KDE and i dont remember exact name in GNOME.
    Also, I have Ubuntu on two machines, Scientific Linux on 2 and SUSE 8.1 on another. The SUSE box is the only one that I can see my hard drives on. SL and Ubuntu show the floppy, the CD and the Network, but no HD. I understand mounting, but I though Ubuntu did that automatically. Since it doesn't, what would I do the get the HD's to show?
    post the output of 'sudo fdisk -l' and 'df -h' commands here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    right click on Panel, select 'Add Applet to Panel'. add Task Bar or Windows List. you have to check it in the Applets list. its Task Bar in KDE and i dont remember exact name in GNOME.

got it back

post the output of 'sudo fdisk -l' and 'df -h' commands here.

joe@ubuntu:~$ sudo df -h
    Password:
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1 150G 3.6G 139G 3% /
    tmpfs 158M 0 158M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev 150G 3.6G 139G 3% /.dev
    none 5.0M 2.8M 2.3M 56% /dev

joe@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    Password:

Disk /dev/hda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 19860 159525418+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 19861 19929 554242+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 19861 19929 554211 82 Linux swap / Solaris

output of fdisk is not showing any other harddisk or Partition. didn't you plug-in other harddisk?

Just Joined!
    The machine has just the one disk that fdisk reports, partitioned by Ubuntu at installation. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see an issue there. The question is - why I can't I see it from within Ubuntu.

Turn on the Window Selector. You can access any open/minimized window from there.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JOsterheim
    The machine has just the one disk that fdisk reports, partitioned by Ubuntu at installation. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see an issue there. The question is - why I can't I see it from within Ubuntu.
    did you check in Places Menu? or Open Home Folder, Places -- Computer.