Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The simplest problems are often the most exasperating; e.g.: Whenever I log into Gnome, two Mozilla Firefox windows open: one with my home webpage and one with a 'page specially ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Firefox and Gaim start on Gnome login

The simplest problems are often the most exasperating; e.g.:

Whenever I log into Gnome, two Mozilla Firefox windows open: one with my home webpage and one with a 'page specially designed for offline computers' or something to that effect (perhaps because in order to get online I have to load my PCMCIA modules manually every time I boot up, but that's not the point). It also opens a Gaim window and a terminal.

I've tried everything I can think of to stop this from happening:
    • Googling for this problem (too hard to specify it in the search string)
      Looking in the Gnome Settings --> Sessions dialogue (there were no entries for these programs to run on login)
      Looking in the Options dialogue of each program (no help)
      Looking through the Gnome System Configuration program (didn't see the option)
      Reading Gnome's info page (mostly history and the like)
      Running grep -r mozilla ~/* to try to find the right configuration file (didn't find anything useful)

So now I'm trying the forums. I know the answer to this question is embarassingly simple, but I just can't figure it out. Any help?
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Linux Engineer
    take a look at the last part of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc if you notice mozilla and gaim on their own lines you can remove them. (as root). Most likly you configuration uses a .xinitrc file in your home directory whcih can be edited as a normal user. editing this file is safer than editing the global /etc/ one if you dont know what you are doing.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, but no go. My /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has no entry for those programs, and I have no .xinitrc in my home directory. Any other ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    It depends on what distro and windowmanager you use (i use gentoo and fluxbox for _total_ controll) so if you could answer that it might help. also do you log in with a login manager such as kdm/gdm/xdm? (graphical login thing). Actualy i see that you have debian specifyed in the distro part of you profile. is that the distro you are having the problem with right now?

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I'm using Debian with GDM. Does that help?

Linux Newbie
    Is there maybe a utility for determining what process launched Mozilla-Firefox and Gaim? Because then maybe I could find the configuration file for that process...

Linux Guru
    When you log out from GNOME, you can choose whether or not to "save your settings" (or something similar - I don't remember the exact wording). Try shutting them down and log out, doing precisely that (saving your settings, that is).

The save settings thingie is for saving your current session so that the next time you log in, it will look the same.

Linux Newbie
    I closed all my programs and logged out using this option, but the same thing happened: I got unwanted GAIM and Firefox Windows. Any other shots?

Linux Guru
    Can you post what the following command returns? (Friendly reminder: Post terminal data in code tags)
    Code:
    find ~/.gnome{,2} ~/.gconf -type f -exec egrep -Hi 'firefox|gaim' {} \;

Linux Newbie
    Unfortunately, the only output from that command is:
    Code:
    find: /home/dan/.gnome{.2}: No such file or directory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast