Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my login screen, if I try to change, for example session, the font on the menu that appears is the same colour as the background. This makes it impossible ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Font colours on the login screen menus

On my login screen, if I try to change, for example session, the font on the menu that appears is the same colour as the background. This makes it impossible to see the options available.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can change the font colours. I have changed the GDM theme thinking that was the answer but I get the feeling that the menu fonts on the login screen are not part of the GDM theme.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

I'm running Gnome on Ubuntu Dapper.

I would think there is an easier way, but according to the documentation you need to edit the file
    Code:
    /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
    and add certain options (such as colors). Look in the section in the documentation title 4.2.5. Greeter Configuration
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

under Ubuntu you can edit gdm.conf file by using
    Code:
    gdmsetup
    command.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your responses.

@Tutku - thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but the menu fonts are not covered here. I also tried to edit the gdm files for the active login screen. I could change the fonts on the login screen but not on the menus. I feel, the menus are a layer below the gdm theme.

@Vergil83 - thank you very much. I think you have uncovered the layer I am looking for. I'm not sure my skills are up to it (at the moment) but I shall have some fun trying.

Once again, thanks to both of you.

Did you change the theme? If not this sounds like a bug that should not be happening (font color same as background). I did a quick search for the bug but couldn't find anything like it (though you may try again). You may want to post the bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Hi Vergil83

For the orginal install, there was no problem. I am relatively new to linux, so I have installed numerous themes (GTK, GDM, Metacity) numerous splash screens and numerous window managers.

Somewhere along the line, the problem occurred and I have no way of knowing what caused it. I'm guessing one of the GDM themes messed up some setting. Then again, I did change some font settings in my .gtkrc-2.0 file. Unfotunately, I am not sure how all these things hang together, so I didn't know where to look.

I thought there might be a way to tweak it (bit like changing the menubar font colour in Firefox, when the theme menubar is a dark colour).

I am assuming that there must be a setting in some file somewhere that tells the menu on the login screen what colour to be. I was going to have a play with the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf as you suggested. If I don't get anywhere, I'll consider posting a bug.

Thanks for your help.