Find the answer to your Linux question:
alrite, after multiple installation attempts and banging my head against numnerous walls, i finally got RH9 working in graphical mode installed side by side with XP . Now heres what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ITS ALIVE!!! ITS ALLLLIIIVVVVEEE!!!!

alrite, after multiple installation attempts and banging my head against numnerous walls, i finally got RH9 working in graphical mode installed side by side with XP . Now heres what i need to do:

First how do i create User accounts with permissions and all.

Second, i have a cable modem, connected by USB to my other WindowsXP PC(this one), i need to get internet access on my Linux Machine so do i simply plug in the USB cable in the Linux Box???

Thirdly, is it possible to transfer data using USB from my XP machine to my Linux machine??? or by some other method???

Fourthly, how do i switch b/w Gnome and KDE, i installed both and i think its running Gnome now??

ALi

Linux Newbie

Re: ITS ALIVE!!! ITS ALLLLIIIVVVVEEE!!!!

I can help with your first and last questions, but I don't know anything about USB.

Quote Originally Posted by gilaniali
    There's an excellent guide to the Linux command line, including setting up user accounts and changing permissions, in this post from flw in the Tutorials section: http://linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1154 . Just open a Terminal window and blast away.

Fourthly, how do i switch b/w Gnome and KDE, i installed both and i think its running Gnome now??
    At the X login screen, there should be a button at the bottom that says "Session". When you're logging in, you should be able to click on this button and select which interface you want to use for this session (Gnome or KDE). If the one you choose is not currently the default, it will ask you if you want to make it the default.

Enjoy the delicious Linux.

Just Joined!
    i am using the RH GUI, so what do i do????

Re: ITS ALIVE!!! ITS ALLLLIIIVVVVEEE!!!!

Reading stuff:
    The Linux System Administrators' Guide:
    The Users' Guide

Second, i have a cable modem, connected by USB to my other WindowsXP PC(this one), i need to get internet access on my Linux Machine so do i simply plug in the USB cable in the Linux Box???
    Read here.

You could use you linux box as a 'internet gateway' so that both machine can access the internet.

Thirdly, is it possible to transfer data using USB from my XP machine to my Linux machine??? or by some other method???
    Not that I know, But it would work using a network, using samba on your linux machine.

Like dan said: Check for the option Session at the login screen, it allows you to switch from gnome to KDE and vice versa.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Anyways, you need either KDE or GNOME to be installed first.

I'm using Fedora Core 1 so it may differ to RH9 so I can't help you.

xboxrulz