font server not working?
a few weeks ago i installed a whoel lot of upgrades. (glibc 2.3.2, Xfree 4.3, fontconfig, initscripts, rpm) pretty much half the system. I did not upgrade kde tho and after that kde had no fonts. eg. once i get into it i click the k button and it woudl have a bunch of icons where they shoudl be but just ..... beside each of them. same thign on right click menus, drop down menus in any kde based program etc. This while annoyign didnt really bother me coz i dont use kde. However today when i went to use mandrake control center, it didnt have any fonts either. so i made an attempt at fixing it by goign into icepref (yes i use icewm) and changing all the fonts from things that were saying "invalid font" to roughly the same thing but fonts that shoudl have worked.
now when i load gaim it has the same ... on all the menus and where peoples name sshoudl be.
someone must have an idea how to fix this.
BTW, i just installe da new version of Xfree (including xfs, server, etc) and that didnt fix it
Sorry, basically all those programs that you mention have some kind of special font handling, and I have no idea how it works. It could be something with Xft, though. I think all those programs use Xft for font antialiasing. At least I think that it's something that they all have in common. You might want to check on it.
in case anyone else has similar problems, i managed to fix the kde problems by installing the latest version of libqt3. I thin kthis worked becoz the old one was looking for xft1/fontconfig1 and i had overwritten them with xft2/libfontconfig when i installed xfree4.3.
dont know if it will work yet but i thought that upgrading gtk might fix the rest of the system.
i fixed it pretty much :D
was somethign as simple as teh gnome font settings were messed up. Like 3/4 of the fonts in the list show up as dots in the preview.
so i set them to somethign visible to random ly clicking stuff in the font changing window until i hit the right button (coz they were all dots)
my question now is ho wdo i set these changes to work for all desktops. At present gnoem works properly, kde i dont know about, and icewm starts up broken then works after i run gnome-font-properties so im guessing whatever setting i have changed is only for gnome and not actually fixed whatevers wrong with my fonts.