oops I broke X
I run RH8. I got the new Gnome 2.2 rpms for RH8 from a LinuxFormat magazine.
I tried to install the rpms with little success due to dependencies. So I decided to force the issue.
Ran rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm
Installed OK. Rebooted X server. Nothing happened just mouse pointer (X).
So restarted PC.
Message states X respawning too fast disabled for 5 mins.
Logged in manually and started X
got following error
file libXrandr.so.2 cannot be found.
Ooops! Any ideas howto fix it!
Otherwise will wait for RH9 or maybe try the new mandrake as a friend is running that and it looks pretty good. Also has urpmi gui for software updating.
Oooh... dependencies often have reasons. Best option I can think of is reinstalling the original Gnome RPMs from the RedHat CDs. Try creating a file list of the RPMs to be installed, like this, having the LinuxFormat CD inserted:
Then "mkdir /tmp/rpms", insert the RedHat installation CDs, one in turn, and run this for each one (mount and unmount yourself as you see fit):
ls /mnt/cdrom/path/to/files/*.rpm | sed 's/[0-9.-]*\.i386\.rpm$//' >~/rpmlist
That should also give you a list of RPMs copied from each CD.
for file in `cat ~/rpmlist`; do path=`ls /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* | grep "$file"'[0-9.-]*\.i386\.rpm'`; if [ -e $path ]; then echo $file; cp $path /tmp/rpms; fi; done
When all is done, go to /tmp/rpms and do this:
Note! I don't know if this will work or anything, it's just the best I can think of.
rpm -Uhv --nodeps --force *.rpm