Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Hi, I get ports errors when installing FreeBSD. I have no way to post my errors unless i can print the screen and then go back into Vista and post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26

    ports errors when installing FreeBSD


    Hi,

    I get ports errors when installing FreeBSD. I have no way to post my errors unless i can print the screen and then go back into Vista and post the errors? Is that possible? It says something about getty errors. Maybe it's me because i am clueless when it comes to, any BSD, any Unix, any Linux or anything else.

  2. #2
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    If nothing else works, you can always write them down then type them out in whatever OS works for you.

    Let us know.
    oz

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If nothing else works, you can always write them down then type them out in whatever OS works for you.

    Let us know.
    OK here is my output.

    No such file or directory
    init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for /dev/ttyv after ttyv it gives numbers like 5 or 6 or 3 or something.

  4. #4
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    A quick google turned up this possibly helpful mail archive thread: can't exec /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv1

    When is this occurring? During installation? What stage? What version of FreeBSD are you trying to install?

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    A quick google turned up this possibly helpful mail archive thread: can't exec /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv1

    When is this occurring? During installation? What stage? What version of FreeBSD are you trying to install?

    That site didn't tell me how to fix the problem. It happens after installation when it boots FreeBSD.

  6. #6
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    4,393
    If you click on where is says "next message", there is a possible solution to your problem.

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    If you click on where is says "next message", there is a possible solution to your problem.
    I still don't know how to fix the problem. This is confusing. I am using version 6.2. Would it be better to use 5.5 release?

  8. #8
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    Just saw your other thread on booting four different OSes on one box...

    If you would like to take the time to learn / practice with FreeBSD I think you'll find that it is an oustanding OS -- even as a desktop. To go that route, start reading the handbook. There, among many other things, you'll learn how to boot to single-user mode and copy files (as prescribed in that mail archive thread).

    If you want to get a unix-like box up and running with as little effort as possible, allow me to suggest PC-BSD or Ubuntu. Try 'em both and see which you prefer.

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    Just saw your other thread on booting four different OSes on one box...

    If you would like to take the time to learn / practice with FreeBSD I think you'll find that it is an oustanding OS -- even as a desktop. To go that route, start reading the handbook. There, among many other things, you'll learn how to boot to single-user mode and copy files (as prescribed in that mail archive thread).

    If you want to get a unix-like box up and running with as little effort as possible, allow me to suggest PC-BSD or Ubuntu. Try 'em both and see which you prefer.


    But that doesn't tell me what order the four go in?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •