Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, How do i setup a GUI in FreeBSD? Will someone help me with that? I am using version 5.5 release....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to setup GUI in FreeBSD?

Hi,

How do i setup a GUI in FreeBSD? Will someone help me with that? I am using version 5.5 release.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you installed xorg and KDE or GNOME, you first need to run xorgconfig to configure the X server. Put your default session in your ~/.xinitrc e.g. for KDE you would put "exec startkde" and for GNOME it would be "exec gnome-session". After that you can run "startx" to run the GUI session. The handbook and other docs at the freebsd site have info on how to start the GUI automatically at boot, so browse through them if you need this feature.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    If you installed xorg and KDE or GNOME, you first need to run xorgconfig to configure the X server. Put your default session in your ~/.xinitrc e.g. for KDE you would put "exec startkde" and for GNOME it would be "exec gnome-session". After that you can run "startx" to run the GUI session. The handbook and other docs at the freebsd site have info on how to start the GUI automatically at boot, so browse through them if you need this feature.

That sounds difficult. Even looking over the handbook i didn't understand it. Is there an easier way to install X by default and automatically?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Xorg is on the installation discs or you can install it though ports. If you choose to install KDE, GNOME or some other window manager, X is also automatically installed. Regardless of which method you choose, you will still have to manually configure X and choose the session which to load like I described above.

Linux User
    It sounds like you want a working machine straight from boot up, so have you looked into pc-bsd (PC-BSD - Home, runs KDE) or DesktopBSD (DesktopBSD: Home, runs KDE) or FreeSBIE (FreeSBIE - Free System Burned In Economy, runs Xfce) already? They are worth a try and not difficult to install.
    Last edited by technossomy; 12-15-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Corrected hyperlink

Just Joined!
    Its true, is not difficult.

I install Xorg and KDE (after remplaced with XFCE4) using sysinstall, i think that it's a script.

I've installed FreeBSD 6.2 yesterday, i dont know if 5.x have something similar to sysinstall.

I dont know how to start automatically the graphic environment, yet.

Good look and have patience.

See you