Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I just installing freebsd 6.2 and when I do a startx the error I get is: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: creating new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting x to start

Hello I just installing freebsd 6.2 and when I do a startx the error I get is:

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: creating new authority file /roo/.Xauthority
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (argr):1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command

I reinstalled a few times and nothing helps I tried Xorg -configure
    I really want to get this to work can someone please help me fix this.
    I wanna get gnome to start up but I know I need startx to work first. On my install I chose to install everything so I know its installed and I also know its installed because I did a make install clean on the ports for xorg and it said it was installed already. Is there something I have to do before I type startx?

Just Joined!
    Try
    Code:
    xorgconfig
    There are several commands that are used to configure X in FreeBSD. But the one that always seems to work is 'xorgconfig'. It worked for me when everything else failed.

It will ask lot of questions regarding mouse, keyboard, monitor etc of which monitor section is probably more important. Keep your monitor's manual ready esp the horizontal and vertical sync rates for your model. At the end it will ask where to save the file. Default is /etc/X11. Select it.

Once its done try
    Code:
    startx
    If you get the graphical screen then you have to edit /etc/rc.conf as follows if you want GNOME.

You need to add a line
    Code:
    gdm_enable="YES"

Quote Originally Posted by Blashphemer
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: creating new authority file /roo/.Xauthority
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (argr):1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command
    Presuming you've already read and followed the handbook chapter 5 on this very topic: The X Window System

If not, I'd start there.

If so, create a normal user (with the adduser command) and try to startx as that user -- not root. Still getting the same message?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There are several posts here that will give just the basics of getting your desktop up and running. If not read the handbook. FreeBSD Handbook

Just Joined!
    Ok I finally got x to come up but the problem is now 8bit colour and very low resolution is the most I can use and Im trying to configure gnome and cant barely see anything. Is there anything I can do about this?
    thanks

It seems you have a rather similar thread here under a different username here.

(I frequent both forums.)

Just Joined!
    hey anomie I might just post the same thread in another forum like Welcome to JustLinux: Wanna learn Linux? do you visit that one frequent as well?

Well, you don't need my ok -- do what you like. I was just commenting that it looks like you already have a solution in progress...