Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello i have a question... i have a DHCP running and i need to make the same DHCP running on a new machine .. with the same settings.. on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP from A to B

Hello i have a question... i have a DHCP running and i need to make the same DHCP running on a new machine .. with the same settings.. on a newer machine .. so basicly how I'm gonna do that? .. using the same dhcp.conf file to the newer machine?

Is this a BSD-specific question? Which BSD / version?

It depends on the DHCP server. You might be able to do this by spoofing old machine's MAC address on new machine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    Is this a BSD-specific question? Which BSD / version?

It depends on the DHCP server. You might be able to do this by spoofing old machine's MAC address on new machine.
    to be specific .. i have running freebsd 6.2 with dhcp running on it. I need to make a new box with freebsd 6.2 and make a new dhcp running with the same settings like the older box .. so simply said i need to replace the older box with a newer one .. changes in the new machine will be only the new nic's mac

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First off, by "same settings" I am assuming that includes "same IP address".

You could swap NICs on the boxes and then not have to worry about it.

Or you could add the MAC address of the old box's NIC to the ifconfig parms for the new box's NIC.

See this thread for one example of doing that. I haven't gone to the trouble of testing that, so I hope it works out.

As for other custom dhcp client-related settings, be sure to copy /etc/dhclient.conf from the old to new box.

Note that unless you've specifically customized that file, it is probably empty!

Just Joined!
    exactly all same settings like on box A i will keep u updated, thanks for help