Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I tried everything to get my new 1T USB2 disk to run at more than 8M/s on BSD, but i can't get it to run faster. On the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sad fact, i have to switch to linux because USB2 disk is too slow on BSD

Hi,

I tried everything to get my new 1T USB2 disk to run at more than 8M/s on BSD, but i can't get it to run faster.

On the same exact config linux give me up to 50M/s, so even thought i really like BSD i will switch that home server to linux just for the better USB2 transfer rate.

SAD.

Linux Guru
    That sucks....but all the same welcome to Linux and the forums

Linux User
    It is unclear why BSD gels so poorly with USB drives and USB sticks: performance is subpar and the OS becomes unstable at times. It is only recently that USB images came out that allow one to install BSD from a stick, but even that is hardly worth it for performance reasons.

mzv
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdoll View Post
    Hi,

I tried everything to get my new 1T USB2 disk to run at more than 8M/s on BSD, but i can't get it to run faster.

On the same exact config linux give me up to 50M/s, so even thought i really like BSD i will switch that home server to linux just for the better USB2 transfer rate.

SAD.
    how did you try to get your disk to run at more than 8M/s on BSD? and what the version of bsd do you use?

The USB stack has been rewritten for 8.0. Did you try 8.0? I don't have any USB2 flash disks or HDDs around to test on my 8.0 machine, but 8.0's USB2 performance should be much improved.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy