Find the answer to your Linux question:
During FreeBSD 7.2 installation, when configuring network interface devices, the only devices I get are plip0, sl0, and ppp0. None of which are what I need. I don't have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No network interface found?

During FreeBSD 7.2 installation, when configuring network interface devices, the only devices I get are plip0, sl0, and ppp0. None of which are what I need. I don't have a network card because I have an AsusTek motherboard that has the network feature imbedded into it. Is there a way to get FreeBSD to recognize my imbedded network card? If not, how do I get net connection? I'm hoping someone can help me out here because if there isn't a way for me to get net, I don't want to run FreeBSD and I've been studying Unix for months now just so I can run FreeBSD.

Hi, if you are looking for something like eth0, eth1, wlan0 etc you won't find it under FreeBSD (atleast AFAIK). FreeBSD usually names it as an abreviation of the interface's (manufacture) name. Mine is 'Via Rhine' and it names it as vr0. Look for such an entry...
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response, but I figured out the issue. My motherboard's NIC needs the Atheros L2 drivers which is ae(4) under BSD. I had to manually compile the driver into the kernel's configuration file. Once I did that and ran "sysinstall" again, the eth0 options was there just as hoping.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close