Find the answer to your Linux question:
This question should be simple to the gurus. i have vista-32 on a 1TB C:\. i also have a 500GB D:\ and 2 external hdd's. I want to install FreeBSD, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

booting in an environment of several operating systems

This question should be simple to the gurus.

i have vista-32 on a 1TB C:\. i also have a 500GB D:\ and 2 external hdd's.

I want to install FreeBSD, fedora, and Mandriva -- and possibly another after i have enough experience to know what i want.

• how should i distribute the OS's amongst the drives?
    • how can i choose the os to boot from (at power-up)? can i use my a:\ floppy for this? do i need an external optical reader?

10-15 GB space is enough for each Linux distro. Create one 1GB SWAP Partition and share it in all Linux distros. Create one ext3 partition for each Linux distro.

* 1 GB SWAP
    * 10-15 GB ext3 for / of every Linux distro.

You don't have to do anything special for multiboot. Each distro will install its boot loader ( GRUB ) and it will take care of startup options. There is no need of Floppy or external reader.

I would suggest you to create partitions through GParted Partition Manager. Its interface in user friendly and you can create/delete/shrink partitions easily. Its available in LiveCDs of most of Linux distros. Install Fedora first because its installer doesn't detect other installed Linux distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Banned
    i appreciate your competence in this, but can you explain this answer?! what is the "swap" partition that you are talking about; do other OS's use it (eg, Vista, XP)? why only 10-15GB for each distro (Vista is now occupying 200GB! on C:\ primary)? Why do i need Fedora's ability to detect other Linux distro's -- isn't there a bootmenu that will detect all distro's anyway? why are you recommending Ext3 rather than Ext2 or ReiserFS? I will be using Acronis Disk Director Suite to create partitions rather than GParted PM. relevantly, i just posted this: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...-reiserfs.html

what is the "swap" partition that you are talking about; do other OS's use it (eg, Vista, XP)?
    SWAP partition is like virtual RAM. More details are here.
    why only 10-15GB for each distro (Vista is now occupying 200GB! on C:\ primary)?
    Linux is not Windows OS. Its filesystem is different from Windows OSes and 6GB+ is more than enough for most of major Linux distros. Rest of space is for your personal files.
    Why do i need Fedora's ability to detect other Linux distro's -- isn't there a bootmenu that will detect all distro's anyway?
    Bootmenu is generated by installer only. If installer doesn't detect any Operating system, there won't be any entry of that OS in Bootmenu. You have to add entry of that OS manually.
    why are you recommending Ext3 rather than Ext2 or ReiserFS?
    Check here the comparison of these filesystems.

Banned
    Bootmenu is generated by installer only. If installer doesn't detect any Operating system, there won't be any entry of that OS in Bootmenu. You have to add entry of that OS manually.
    firstly, Thank You for this academic information; i do appreciate your patience with a beginner! secondly, i don't remember whether i mentioned that i will be using Acronis Disk Director Suite to partition -- DDS *will* detect all other operating systems and add them to the boot menu. btw, please tell me how to "add entry of that OS manually"?[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by nweissma View Post
    firstly, Thank You for this academic information; i do appreciate your patience with a beginner! secondly, i don't remember whether i mentioned that i will be using Acronis Disk Director Suite to partition -- DDS *will* detect all other operating systems and add them to the boot menu. btw, please tell me how to "add entry of that OS manually"?
    [/QUOTE]
    It depends on which Boot Loader are you using. GRUB, GRUB2 or any other boot loader.
    You have to edit only one configuration file in most of Boot Loaders.

Advices on FreeBSD
    1- Install FreeBSD Last -- for avoiding chainloading setting (Maybe).
    2- FreeBSD need a primary partition. It's preffered to install it on 2nd,3th or 4th partition and highly recomended to install it on the first disk drive on your system.
    3- If you have more than one HDD on your system and you logically swap order of them in BIOS, restore the BIOS to natural drive numbering before installing FreeBSD, and then leave it that way.
    4- You will need at least 150 MB of free hard drive space for the most minimal installation. (but it's just most minimal, see bellow)
    5- The amount of Disk space you need = RAM size X 3 + 4 GB
    6- Allocate swap file in FreeBSD installation(it's nee exclusive swap file).
    Your swap space should be two or three times as much as the available physical memory (RAM).