Find the answer to your Linux question:
i originally wanted to install FreeBSD, OpenBSD and OpenSolaris on a dual bay jbod connected to the desktop mainboard by usb 2.0 but i have been told that the usb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

BSD's minimal performance and hardware requirements

i originally wanted to install FreeBSD, OpenBSD and OpenSolaris on a dual bay jbod connected to the desktop mainboard by usb 2.0 but i have been told that the usb connection will prove to be too slow. if this is correct (is this correct?) then i will need to install on the internal (which i want to avoid because Vista is already on this internal and this could prove to be an aggravating partitioning experience). this all begged the question: what are the minimal performance and hardware requirements of BSD's? i ask because i will also want to install BSD's onto a laptop.

About FreeBSD Release 8.0 (November 2009) all from FreeBSD.org Offical Site:

* The list discusses the issues related to running FreeBSD on notebooks, laptops, and other mobile equipment. Typical issues include APM, PC-CARD, wireless communication, and related topics.

lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-mobile]freebsd-mobile Info Page

* This document gives a brief introduction to FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE. It includes some information on how to obtain FreeBSD, a listing of various ways to contact the FreeBSD Project, and pointers to some other sources of information.

freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/readme.html]FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE README

* This document contains the hardware compatibility notes for FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE. It lists the hardware platforms supported by FreeBSD, as well as the various types of hardware devices (storage controllers, network interfaces, and so on), along with known working instances of these devices.

freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/hardware.html]FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE Hardware Notes

* Release Information
    freebsd.org/releases/]Release Information