Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm building an application server with various OS's running in VM's, and I'd like to use NetBSD as Dom0 because I know that the threading stack has been rewritten and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NetBSD Dom0 and root filesystem questions

I'm building an application server with various OS's running in VM's, and I'd like to use NetBSD as Dom0 because I know that the threading stack has been rewritten and I expect it to be more efficient than everything else.

One thing that I want to do is pass-through a PCIEx1 tuner to a DomU. Searching around, the only info I can find about that seems dated and says that it would only be possible if the DomU is also NetBSD. Is that still the case?

Second, a quick search indicates that I should be able to boot NetBSD from a LVM partition on a RAID0 of three drives which is exactly what I want to do. It's been nearly a decade since I last installed NetBSD, so I don't have a clue about which filesystem would be best. Is there a general consensus about this?

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how much space to allocate. It will be a minimal install running Xen and nothing else, but I plan to use a flat file for swap, and I'll keep the OS ISO's there for convenience. I'll probably need some extra space for upgrades, as well. I only have (3 x 80) 240 GB to work with, and I want to load the VM's in the other LVM partitions so the apps will start fast. Any idea how small of a partition I can get away with without it being too much of a tight squeeze?

Thank you for any help.

(haha, I forgot about Hypnotoad!)

Just Joined!
    Well, I found the port-xen mailing list for NetBSD, and it seems that PCI-pass-through is still limited as mentioned above, so I guess that I'll patch a vanilla Linux kernel and load up a minimal Gentoo OS for the Dom0 until things get caught up in NetBSD.

Thank you so much for all of your helpful suggestions.