Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have built a freenas box for file shares in my home however I am having some problems getting it setup the way I would like it to be. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Freenas permissions

Hello,
    I have built a freenas box for file shares in my home however I am having some problems getting it setup the way I would like it to be. Currently the box has two drives a 500GB and a 2TB, the 500GB is mounted as Data and the 2TB is mounted as Media. On the 500GB drive I have one share named 'Joe' I wish to have this share specific to me with only my user having 700 to all files currently located in it and anything I store in the future to that share. On the 2TB media drive, I have a few shares Music, Pictures and Movies. I wish to have each of these shares allowing full 777 on every file currently in them and anything added in the future for all users. What is happening is that share is set to 777, but as soon as I copy a file over to Movies, Music or Pictures the permissions do not get changed to 777. I have done some reading and am lost on how to make this work.

In short, I wish to have my share 'Joe' have 700 permissions for all future files created and all the Media shares to have 777 for all files created.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi,
    I had the same problem for my web folders, i could not find any good solution.
    So, used cron to run a script which will reset the permissions every 3 hours.
    Maybe that wud be helpful to you.