Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm enormously interested in the BSD systems. So I decided to try FreeBSD as my Desktop system, because of the nVida-support and the tons of programs; I have already ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Starting with FreeBSD.

Hello, I'm enormously interested in the BSD systems. So I decided to try FreeBSD as my Desktop system, because of the nVida-support and the tons of programs; I have already running PC-BSD on this machine, so I can try several stuff....

I know how to install it, but I do not know how to ...

- set up a GUI. I'd like to use GNOME as the deafult desktop System. I read parts of the guide, but I can't really understand everything. What do I need to install?

- install apps. Well, this may sound funny... I don't understand the ports system at all and installing anything by pkg_add. I can't recall the error messages now, but somehow, it just did not work.

Once I'm familiar with these processes, installing and configuring everything else will be easy. I'm currently running ArchLinux and I love rc.conf; All the daemons are listed there. I'd like USB-devices to be auto-mounted; Just everything a desktop system needs.

And I'd like to learn this because I'm interested in UNIX-stuff.. and because I need an awesome OS on this PC.

BTW, Arch runs on my first PC. The second PC (where I want to use FreeBSD) currently runs, as said, PC-BSD.

Linux Newbie
    Have you checked out the handbook? Grandted, I haven't used FreeBSD in a few years, but the handbook always had a good process to figure out my troubles.

Yes, I have. But as already said, I couldn't get all parts of it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    For gnome, have a look at this thread:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/eve...org-gnome.html
    I think freebsd and pcbsd are reasonably similar, so the methods given should work.

Just Joined!

Install the GNOME PBI

If you are running PC-BSD then just install the GNOME PBI. It is a PBI package. You shouldn't have to install using ports.

Once the PBI for GNOME is installed, then you should have a GNOME option at the login screen.