Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, I am after some help/ advice. I am wanting to try one of the BSDs out mainly because i really liked the Linux Distro since moving from Windows, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

BSD Distro Help?

Hey,
    I am after some help/ advice. I am wanting to try one of the BSDs out mainly because i really liked the Linux Distro since moving from Windows, which has sparked curiosity to try BSD as i have read a lot about there stability & security (which is one of the main features i am after).

Do people have a recommendation? (it is for home use, not server)

I downloaded and installed OpenBSD successfully but i could not manage to get the port tree working; it kept saying directory couldn't be found, so i have removed it for now, ARRRG.

What do people think of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD? is it pretty much the same as FreeBSD? I am wanting to get a really good idea of the BSD distro/s, but for now without the hassle of trying to implement a GUI.

Just Joined!
    I recommend PC-BSD 8.2. because it's designed geared to the desktop user. It uses KDE by default but I suggest you install LXDE or XFCE after it's set up because KDE can be a ram hog on BSD. Try it out in a virtual machine with VirtualBox if you want but I recommend using 2 gigs of ram for the VM or the default KDE may not load.

The thing is unless you really get into the differences between Unix and Linux terminal commands you won't really notice a difference between PC-BSD/FreeBSD or even Open Solaris because they all use the familiar KDE or Gnome desktop environment plus all the same GNU software applications your used to using in Linux, only the kernel and core components are different. They all look and feel like any Linux distro you're used to.

This is great news for a windows user who wants to use a non windows OS for a desktop PC that does everything a windows desktop or Linux desktop user wants to do with the exception of heavy gaming but PC-BSD will play some games and almost any Linux app out there. KDE, Gnome and GNU has kind of standardized things across the board for non windows OS's and thats sad for Open Source because Open Source has not grown beyond that to produce a popular non windows desktop friendly OS that doesn't resemble Linux.

Yeah, i understand that there won't be any difference between the look and feel of a Unix (BSD) distro and a Linux. But this is more a curiosity thing as well as a lot of positive reviews in terms of performance & stability.

POSTED Actual Error Message:
    Ok, so i installed a BSD distro Debian GNU/kFreeBSD however i am having problems with USB devices & the GUI.

First of the USB devices i am using will cause two different problems depending on which devices are inserted.
    1. Keyboard Only Inserted: The system will load correctly but it is impossible to type, as the OS doesn't respond to the keys pressed like it should (may have to press the same key 10 times before it will appear onscreen).
    2. Mouse Only OR Mouse & Keyboard Inserted: The actual error message is: "ukbd_set_leds_callback: error=usb_err_stalled"

3. GUI doesn't load even though i have installed the GUI from the install disc. I imagine that is fixable if i had a working keyboard and mouse? lol
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 07-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Just Joined!
    Sorry I haven't been around in a while.. best thing I can tell you is to go to either the FreeBSD forums, or the PCBSD forums and ask there.. one of the two should be able to help you.

I don't run BSD, but GhostBSD looks interesting. Available at distrowatch.com.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I vote you try PC-BSD too.

Just Joined!
    I also will support PC-BSD, it is based on FreeBSD, but doesn't require that you already be an adept user to do an install.
    Personally I'd stay away from OpenBSD, not that it is a bad system, just that they openly admit security takes precedence over user friendliness, and if you are still getting your feet wet that isn't the best thing.

Just Joined!
    I'd tend to disagree and throw my hat in for plain vanilla FreeBSD. My reason? It's manual is so specific that if you can read proficiently, you can definitely succeed using it.

Probably the same applies to NetBSD, but I don't have the same experience with it.

Whatever you choose, the best advice I can give is to take advantage of the documentation. It's generally way more complete than anything you'll find in the Linux world.

Just Joined!
    Whatever you choose, the best advice I can give is to take advantage of the documentation. It's generally way more complete than anything you'll find in the Linux world.
    true
    but thats a question wheter your like digging into a problem, eventually understand its cause and fix it or go like google > "howto X"
    in the second case you probaly will be happpier with the more popular os (linux>pcbsd>freebsd)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast