Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I don't know if others have ever experienced these problems, but I've been having trouble with hard drive wd0, where on NetBSD Boot-up the hard drive comes up with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NETBSD Solid State Drive Problems

Hey,
    I don't know if others have ever experienced these problems, but I've been having trouble with hard drive wd0, where on NetBSD Boot-up the hard drive comes up with an I/O error.

My guess is a compatibility issue as NetBSD will work fine without that hard drive installed. I can further prove this because when i run the install disc with wd0 active the same I/O error will appear and cause installation problems; such as not reading the other existing partitions correctly.

The hard drive coincidentally is my solid-state that will cause issues.

Does anyone know of solutions? i have looked around but i haven't found any relevant sites that contain NetBSD issues on solid state drives.

Just Joined!

Resolving SSD problems

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Hey,
    I don't know if others have ever experienced these problems, but I've been having trouble with hard drive wd0, where on NetBSD Boot-up the hard drive comes up with an I/O error.

My guess is a compatibility issue as NetBSD will work fine without that hard drive installed. I can further prove this because when i run the install disc with wd0 active the same I/O error will appear and cause installation problems; such as not reading the other existing partitions correctly.

The hard drive coincidentally is my solid-state that will cause issues.

Does anyone know of solutions? i have looked around but i haven't found any relevant sites that contain NetBSD issues on solid state drives.
    ============================

Can you provide me a little more information about your problem.

Type of drive?
    Has the SSD been damaged?
    Parameters of the drive?
    Does this work in other systems?
    Is anything on the drive?
    What type of system the SSD is installed in?
    The connector from the computer to the SSD, please indicate type?
    What type of command are you running to diagnose problem?
    Can you send me the exact error message during your pre or post bootup sequence?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tdsan View Post
    Can you provide me a little more information about your problem.

Type of drive?
    Has the SSD been damaged?
    Parameters of the drive?
    Does this work in other systems?
    Is anything on the drive?
    What type of system the SSD is installed in?
    The connector from the computer to the SSD, please indicate type?
    What type of command are you running to diagnose problem?
    Can you send me the exact error message during your pre or post bootup sequence?

Todd
    ===================================
    Type of Drive: Crucial 64GB Real SSD 2.5" Internal HDD (Read: 355 MB/s; Write: 75 MB/s)

Has the SSD been damaged: No, not to my knowledge

Parameters of the Drive: Not sure what you are referring to?

Does this work in other systems: Yes, the hard drive works on all other OS's within the system

Is there anything on the SSD drive: Yes, a Boot Partition & a Linux LVM (Note: Comp also contains 2x WD caviar Green 1TB HDDs; NetBSD is on 3rd HDD (SSD is the 1st HDD))
    It should also be noted that Windows 7 & FreeBSD are also both installed on this same HDD with no errors.

Type of System: Is an Asus KPGE-D16 server board (AMD Opteron CPU x2) used as a workstation.

SSD Connector: SATA Cable AWM (3 GB/s)
    Command used to diagnose: None as of yet, this is just reading the NetBSD boot-up sequence and seeing the error repeat itself consistently.

Error Message: wd0d: device fault reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn0; cn0 tn0 sn0) retrying ixpide:0:0: recall drive fault (repeats this same message over)
    Until this message:
    wd0: dos partition I/0 error

This may occur 2 times during boot sequence before allowing login. (i.e. may occur once then re-occur after it has configured the Network)

Just Joined!

Resolution to Netbsd problem

===================================

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-lvm.html

Chapter*17.*NetBSD Logical Volume Manager (LVM) configuration

Go to section 17.3. Configure Kernel Support - ensure the kernel has been configured

17.4. Configure LVM on a NetBSD system - Verify the tools have been installed on the machine, dm is not installed natively nor the tools for LVM

I think this section and items below it are what you need to address the errors associated with NetBSD and your SSD.

Tdsan