Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am need help with booting Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, i recently had to re-install by BSD partition and decided to give Debian's FreeBSD another shot since all there new updates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Legacy Grub (v0.97) config help

Hi,
    I am need help with booting Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, i recently had to re-install by BSD partition and decided to give Debian's FreeBSD another shot since all there new updates & bug fixes.

However, i am having a problem booting the OS. I have tried several ways of entering it into the Grub config file but it still does not find the partition. Keep in mind this is booting of a Linux legacy Grub.

I have also tried researching it but no article refers to legacy grub, they all refer to grub2, so i am hesitant to follow the guide as i know grub2 has some major differences to grub v0.97

These are the menu entries i have tried:
    Title: Debian k/FreeBSD 8.1
    root (hd2,1)
    kernel /boot/loader

root (hd2,1)
    kernel /boot/loader root=/dev/sdc2 or hd2,1
    chainloader +1

rootnoverify (hd2,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

All of the above give the same error. The partition is not able to boot.

Here is the fdisk -l : partition layout:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 131 1048576 83 Linux
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 131 7784 61472768 8e Linux LVM
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/sdc1 1 39163 314572768+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdc2 * 39164 63478 195310237+ a5 FreeBSD
    /dev/sdc3 63479 65302 14648320 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdc4 91380 121602 242758657 5 Extended
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdc5 91380 121602 242758656 83 Linux

/dev/sdb1 * 1 121602 976760832 8e Linux LVM

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I have also tried researching it but no article refers to legacy grub, they all refer to grub2, so i am hesitant to follow the guide as i know grub2 has some major differences to grub v0.97
    Hello

Check this GRUB Legacy tutorial... it's the best one that I've found on-line:

GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

Note that they also have a really nice GRUB2 tutorial should you ever need it.

Hope it helps.
    oz

Fortunately I have GNU Grub 0.97 - I will try to help you by posting the information from the section Grub tells me not to touch:

THIS INFO IS FROM THE FILE MENU.LST (it is the only file I ever consider altering)

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=UUID=(deleted info) ro bf24 quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686

I verified all spacing is as it appears above. bf24 is a cheatcode pertains to my system. Let me know the section heading you are trying to input manually, if this does not help.

I am reediting original post - the spacing did not transtiton correctly.

title
    root
    kernel
    initrd

(all at the margin)

The information following is at the first tab point,except kernel.

the /boot... following kernel is at the second tab point. The / lines-up directly beneath the 1 in hd0,1

Well, I might as well give you the rest:

title Windows NT/2000/XP
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

(the info following title and root is at the first tab point. everything else is at the margin.) This is from the section I am allowed to touch.)

I would verify your syntax against mine. You have a few special characters IE. colon after title.

Note that windows occupies the first position "zero" of the harddrive.
    Last edited by BoDiddley; 08-28-2011 at 02:43 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @BoDiddley: I checked mine against yours and besides the semi-colon which wasn't actually in my grub menu.lst (must have added it into my post). It is pretty much the same.

The only difference is that my layout has everything but the title on the first tab.

Which is the way it was set out when i first installed my linux OS.

My hunge is that i am missing some critical information in legacy grub to do with booting Debian FreeBSD, as all other OS's Linux, Windows, & my second linux system all boot fine no issues.
    The other reason i have this hunge is because when you look at the grub2 guides and information referring to booting Debian kFreeBSD they all refer to the kernel image, insmod ufs2 etc

This intrigued me so I did some reearch. Debian KFreeBsd is Debian loaded against the FreeBsd kernel, not the Linux kernel.

The key to either system is the kernel. FreeBSD also utilizes ports (enhanced communications and security), with the kernel being non-generic and specific to your system. (This I accomplished on my own - by doing an installation without desktop and adding my own bits and pieces)

I found others having similar issues.

A gentleman was having trouble using RAID with a boot loaded; Neither Grub nor LILO would work. He directed us to this page, which gives a full listing of boot loaders Chapter*3.*The system initialization

At the Debian GNU/KFreeBSD web page I have found the following definition: "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is a port that consists of GNU userland using the GNU C library on top of FreeBSD's kernel, coupled with the regular Debian package set."

At this point I am informing myself, based upon your issue. Thought I would post in the event any of my observations - help.

So then you are trying to do a normal Debian system boot, into an installation that is utilizing the freebsd kernel. Yet, GNU/KFreeBSD is a port.

You are in the developers domain I do believe. I apologize for taking too much time.

That said; you could always try a reinstallation of Grub, and let it rediscover everything (from within Debian, or from a rescue disk) However - i would go for 0.97.2 not 2.0.
    Last edited by BoDiddley; 08-28-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Yes, i agree lol definitly in the developers domain. :S Which means i am a little out of my league. But that is a pretty cool peice of information, i had always thought the Debian kFreeBSD was the Debian GNU using the FreeBSD kernel (i.e. FreeBSD 8.0 kernel src) and then editing the source packages/ repos to use Debians deb.packages. Shows you learn something new everyday :P.

But what i found interesting is, that when booting from a Grub2 boot disk. Grub2 still couldn't find Debian kFreeBSD, yet it could find all other OS's.
    Yet after manually entering in the following into the grub2 config
    menuentry "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD" {
    insmod ufs2
    set root=(hd2,2)
    kfreebsd /boot/kfreebsd-8.1-1-amd64.gz
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad8s2
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
    }

I was able to boot Debian kFreeBSD. So this makes me wonder if editing the legacy grub config, to match something similar.
    I.e.
    title Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
    root (hd2,1)
    kernel /boot/kfreebsd-8.1-1-amd64.img
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad8s2
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

Would it work??

As i am not a huge fan of Grub2 (yet).

Kudo's for conquering the 2.0 .config file. This should be useful knowledge for many others have tried and failed. And, you have a workable option, whether or not it is desirable.