Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I installed pcbsd freebsd linux yesterday. Today I'm almost out of free space. I read that a lot of programs send their garbage to the /dev/null file. I deleted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

all my free space is gone

Hello. I installed pcbsd freebsd linux yesterday. Today I'm almost out of free space. I read that a lot of programs send their garbage to the /dev/null file. I deleted that file, but it keeps coming back every time I reboot. Why do programs want to put garbage on the hard drive anyway? Something else I read says that I can use the rpm program to remove software, but I don't think it's installed. How can I install rpm software uninstaller? Anther thing I noticed is whenever I put in a CD, linux copies it to the /media folder on the hard drive. Why is it doing this? Was it a setting I changed? How do I access a CD if it's not copied to the hard drive? I know / is like C:, so where is D Another thing I read says that upgrading to wheezy freebsd linux can be better for a desktop system. Should I upgrade to wheezy or just reinstall with the wheezy version?

I guess this is a lot of questions, but if someone could even answer at least some of them, that'd be great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nooblinuxnoob View Post
    I read that a lot of programs send their garbage to the /dev/null file. I deleted that file, but it keeps coming back every time I reboot. Why do programs want to put garbage on the hard drive anyway?
    /dev/null isn't a real file - it just means "scrap this!". All filenames beginning with /dev are pseudo files; the data read from or written to them is actually handled by the kernel.
    Something else I read says that I can use the rpm program to remove software, but I don't think it's installed. How can I install rpm software uninstaller?
    rpm is used by Red Hat/Fedora/Centos, not Freebsd. Freebsd has its own package manager (see this link)
    Anther thing I noticed is whenever I put in a CD, linux copies it to the /media folder on the hard drive. Why is it doing this? Was it a setting I changed? How do I access a CD if it's not copied to the hard drive?
    It doesn't copy it - it mounts it. The data remains on the CD but it behaves as if it was in the /media directory.
    I know / is like C:, so where is D
    Forget C: and D:. There's nothing in Linux or BSD corresponding to them. Unixes don't use drive letters as the roots of directoriy trees, they mount non-root partitions on directories in / (see above)
    Another thing I read says that upgrading to wheezy freebsd linux can be better for a desktop system. Should I upgrade to wheezy or just reinstall with the wheezy version?
    Definitely not. You need to learn a lot more about Linux/BSD before you start doing upgrades.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by nooblinuxnoob View Post
    Another thing I read says that upgrading to wheezy freebsd linux can be better for a desktop system. Should I upgrade to wheezy or just reinstall with the wheezy version?
    I think you're confusing the Debian kFreeBSD port with FreeBSD. You cannot upgrade a *BSD operating system to Debian kFreeBSD. looking at the questions you're asking I think you need to go and do a lot more research.

If you're running out of space, it's probably because you haven't allowed big enough partitions for your data...