Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, After getting too aggravated with Debian on my ipaq, I went to openbsd, in search of something fast, and secure. I went along with the installation instructions on their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gray screen on boot (openBSD)

Hi,
    After getting too aggravated with Debian on my ipaq, I went to openbsd, in search of something fast, and secure.

I went along with the installation instructions on their website, and it installed and everything. But now whenever I try to boot the computer on it goes through a bunch of script (like usual for linux and BSD distros) but before it gets to the login part, the screen goes gray and the mouse/pointer is there and it can move and everything. But nothing else is there.

If I press the on/off button on the computer it goes back to the script and it says "login" but I can't type anything.

I am starting to think that this ipaq desktop hates me, I never have problems like this with other computers :/

Any suggestions?

Nevermind, I gave up on openBSD

I installed arch on the computer. It works great!

Just Joined!
    Too late for OpenBSD but it's probably the same issue as FreeBSD - you need to have HAL and DBUS installed plus loaded at boot in order to stop the computer freezing when X starts.

Right now I am satisfied with Arch linux on this computer. But I will probably try to use a BSD later on, and if I have this same issue maybe that will work.

How would I install something when I can't log in or anything though?