Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ok i recently decided to try yet again Debian GNU/kFreeBSD with all the new updates to the FreeBSD kernel and because of the recent improvement in ZFS support. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GNOME Help in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD 8.2-1-amd64

Hi,
    Ok i recently decided to try yet again Debian GNU/kFreeBSD with all the new updates to the FreeBSD kernel and because of the recent improvement in ZFS support.
    I am happy with it so far, as the system has installed perfectly and boots from a ZFS zpool without any issues.

I decided to installed the system without any desktop to reduce problems at install. The installation of GNOME also from root worked without any issues.
    However, the problem arises once the system loads into GNOME; the system will hang on a black screen and make alot of noise (beeps: as in errors/ panics).
    If i boot into single-user mode and then go "startx", the system will make those same noises and hang on a black screen, just like previously.
    Although if i try and go
    Code:
    xorg -configure
    xorg -config /root/x11/xorg.conf.new
    (code may not be correct, as i am typing it from memory)

To test the new xorg -config settings it complains about no fbdev module being found, and no screens found.

I am confident it that the problem is most likely driver or firmware related and not system related; because as mentioned above the system will work fine in single user mode, the problem only arises when trying to load GNOME.

I have tried installing the nvidia driver for my GPU but apt-get fails to find the package (for some odd reason).

Help would be great

Thanks SL6-A1000

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I have tried installing the nvidia driver for my GPU but apt-get fails to find the package (for some odd reason).
    The nvidia packages are in contrib and nonfree, ensure you've got those enabled. Even then I'm not sure the kernel module will compile and work correctly on the freebsd kernel. You'd be better off heading to the Debian forums with this.

Any luck with this?

I managed to get Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (9.0) testing installed last night and upgraded it to unstable. It works but there are a few issues here and there...

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    Any luck with this?

I managed to get Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (9.0) testing installed last night and upgraded it to unstable. It works but there are a few issues here and there...
    Nope i haven't managed to get it to work properly. I may try again at a later stage, as i have removed the system now (probably tomorrow or later this week). Will let you know how i go. I didn't realize at the time that Nvidia actually provides a FreeBSD driver on there website. I have only ever seen Windows, Linux, & Solaris drivers provided. So i may end up using that next time. As there driver seems to be the only driver that works with any of my Linux systems.

It is annoying but oh well.

The FreeBSD driver is incompatible with Debian GNU/kFreeBSD I believe.

I found the whole thing to be a bugger to install. I tried it several months ago in a VM and it installed without a hitch. But when I stuck a spare HDD in my machine and tried to install, the installer wouldn't even boot. I've since tried squeeze and wheezy.

Squeeze net installer boots, but hangs on installing the base system with some additional required dependencies. I took this as my cue to grab CD1 - I decided to go for testing CD1 and installed the 9.0 kernel instead of 8.2 (FreeBSD 8.2 choked and wouldn't even install on my machine a few months ago - 9.0 installed ok).

In both cases dhcp failed and caused the installer to hang indefinitely so I had to set a static IP address.

Once I'd gotten over those minor hurdles and got the thing installed I was getting geom and geom-freebsd daemons spitting errors and dying... I purged those two and it didn't complain.

But Xfce is installed and working, but the software rasterizer is in use... I had a thought and installed the linux non free firmware, but it made no difference... I'm still unsure as to whether there is anything implemented for loading the missing firmware...

Also I cannot log out or shut down. Clicking on any of those gives an error from the session manager which hints at a dbus problem... I upgraded to Sid - no difference...

I might just purge xfce and install openbox. I had downloaded the Xfce-lxde disc and expected it to install the DEs from there, instead it pulled about 900 packages from the repos...

But it works... and I will have a look into it over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Nope i haven't managed to get it to work properly. I may try again at a later stage, as i have removed the system now (probably tomorrow or later this week). Will let you know how i go. I didn't realize at the time that Nvidia actually provides a FreeBSD driver on there website. I have only ever seen Windows, Linux, & Solaris drivers provided. So i may end up using that next time. As there driver seems to be the only driver that works with any of my Linux systems.

It is annoying but oh well.

I agree with you there, Its a ***** to install! What makes it hard is your issues appear to be different to mine
    I had no trouble getting network or having the installer work that would all go smoothly except if I wanted grub. What I had a ***** with was partitioningand GUI. I couldn't install on a vm it would hang.
    Filesystems are a pain, I would install on ufs thinking its less trouble only to find that it would kernel panic every time. In the end I found that zfs was the only filesystem that it wouldn't kernel panic on.
    I'm starting to think just going with straight FreeBSD would be less trouble. I mean I have a netbsd 6.0 system up and running with afterstep and it at least works. Few nvidia driver issues but will work under VGA, along with a sda fsbn fault on boot (but doesn't seem to impede the system) other then taking longer to boot.
    Although I am interested in this system, haven't given up yet lol.

Well I haven't tried zfs, I just wanted it installed so decided not to bite off more than I can chew for the moment... but ufs seems to work ok - no kernel panics thus far...

Oddly enough the Xfce4 session manager errors disappeared yesterday but there is a huge delay between clicking on the logout/reboot/shutdown button and the thing coming up - probably a bout a minute or more. I can now log out, but not shut down as it spits a hal error... I was going to just purge xfce and try something else, but decided to leave it installed for now and do some more research at the weekend.

If you do give this another go, opt for wheezy and the 9.0 kernel.

Also be aware that the nouveau and radeon specific DRM libs are not yet available in kFreeBSD (the intel libs are there, but I've no experience with those), so there's no hardware accelerated DRI and thus no 3D acceleration for Nvidia or AMD/ATI.

You'd be interested to know that i re-installed it. This with the 9.0-1-amd64 kernel, and everything went fine. I have a feeling the nvidia driver will work, because it runs on a kernel level, not a user level, for the most part. So the fact that its in GNU userland shouldn't be a problem.

Your right though, you cannot shutdown or log off. I found the best way is just use terminal and reboot that way.

Also do/ did you have a apt-cache problem?? I cannot install anything because apparently apt-get has reached its cache limit. Not sure how to fix this. I have tried to do autoremove and autoclean but it doesn't work. Read the man pages, useful but doesn't tell you the commands just the location of the script files.

Once i fix this cache issue i will be able to find out.

Maybe you can help me???