Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Guys please kindly let me know following things: 1.Does it have GUI as powerful in it as Linux Mint 13 and can play vlc. 2.can it support flash sites ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I wana install BSD but can i use few softwares on it

Hi Guys

please kindly let me know following things:
    1.Does it have GUI as powerful in it as Linux Mint 13 and can play vlc.
    2.can it support flash sites and games.
    3.Support for 3D games and 3d movies.
    4.does it support wine,can i run dreamweaver cs 3 or cs5 on wine.
    5. FREEBSD or PCBSD - are these good for netbean and Eclipse and LAMP development. just like in Win7.
    6.is BSD a linux's OS or Something else i mean is it more closer to Unix i mean in security is it more powerful than ubuntu or fedora.

These are few questions please let me have answers so that i can see it if i can get these things out of BSD OS's. so that i can install it because recently i am switching over and over again to Mint ,fedora ,mageia, mandriva , ubuntu (i think it crashes a lot when i install many other software)

Thanks a lot.

Linux Newbie
    Hi

BSD is not Linux. It's some kind of legacy Unix, while Linux is a complete new system, though it seems to work the same. BSD is far less supported than Linux, so BSD developped a wrapper to run Linux binaries. So why bother using BSD if it's for running Linux binaries ? Just install the Linux flavor you prefer : general purpose Ubuntu or Fedora, not so up-to-date but rock solid Centos or Debian stable.
    Now let's answer the questions.
    1: KDE, Gnome, XFCE are ported to BSD
    2: not sure you can find a native Flash version, nor native good 3d drivers
    3: linux binaries with a wrapper.
    4: I don't know.
    5: Win7 good for LAMP development ? Eclipse and Java runs fine on Linux.
    6: Can't answer, the question is not accurate enough. What do you mean by "powerful" ?

Some corrections if I may.
    *BSDs are very much unix.
    On the contrary, I even have freebsd-using colleagues that call linux the "windows of the unix world",
    because newer distribution lean so much towards desktop users and some tendencies to break with the core system vs application philosophy
    And bsd is also not legacy, free/net/openBSD are under active development. They are just not as visible as linux.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Some corrections if I may.
    *BSDs are very much unix.
    On the contrary, I even have freebsd-using colleagues that call linux the "windows of the unix world",
    because newer distribution lean so much towards desktop users and some tendencies to break with the core system vs application philosophy
    And bsd is also not legacy, free/net/openBSD are under active development. They are just not as visible as linux.
    English is not my native language. Maybe the word "legacy" is not exactly the one that translates best my thinking. What I wanted to say is that BSD is the direct son of the first unix, the one developped by Thompson, Kernigan and Ritchie. I think that Akmonlinuxforum wants to use a unix/linux system for desktop (developpment in eclipse/java, flash, games) and what I wanted to tell is that Linux is better for that than BSD because BSD is not so well supported regarding desktop and gaming applications, though the huge qualities in security, reliability BSD has.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    FreeBSD has a fairly comprehensive collection of ports so it should be fine for most uses. I am unsure of games though.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, akmonlinuxforums

PCBSD is more desktop-oriented than is FreeBSD, but either can be used for desktop purposes, and PCBSD can use the ports suggested above by elija. I don't do any games, so can't say how well they will work under *BSD. You can do a FreeBSD ports search (click elija's link) for any software that you might be interested in to see if it's already available. If it's not, you may be able to port it to FreeBSD yourself, but they do have just under 24,000 ports currently available. As noted above, a number of the BSD's are being actively developed, but they aren't as well known to most desktop computer users. As for "GUI power" as you put it, I don't believe that the *BSD GUI's are any less powerful than the same desktop environments or window managers under Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I installed a PCBSD but when i install i think not being loaded correctly breaks also i got openBSD ISo but its not working as well now i am fed up because installing huge DVD iso then its not working m sad,but i downloaded megeia2 dvd i installed it but its taking around or more than 60 min.s but i found that strong OS slightly felt overloaded and slow i got some inner feeling i formatted now i got tripple boot of win7, opensuse12.2 & fedora 17 i wish i could have installed linuxmint cinnamon14 but HDD is small.now i am going to try to install wine and netbeans on both but first thing is that my wireless not working in both when i instaled live CD fedora16 wireless worked but in fedora 17 & cinnamon 14 wireless not working. but now i am going to start that with new thread.

But still my question is same as above pls help me find good solutions of this thread.
    Thank You All.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by akmonlinuxforums View Post
    I installed a PCBSD but when i install i think not being loaded correctly breaks also i got openBSD ISo but its not working as well now i am fed up because installing huge DVD iso then its not working m sad,but i downloaded megeia2 dvd i installed it but its taking around or more than 60 min.s but i found that strong OS slightly felt overloaded and slow i got some inner feeling i formatted now i got tripple boot of win7, opensuse12.2 & fedora 17 i wish i could have installed linuxmint cinnamon14 but HDD is small.now i am going to try to install wine and netbeans on both but first thing is that my wireless not working in both when i instaled live CD fedora16 wireless worked but in fedora 17 & cinnamon 14 wireless not working. but now i am going to start that with new thread.

But still my question is same as above pls help me find good solutions of this thread.
    Thank You All.
    I would personally get accustomed to Linux and then transition into the BSD world. I've loaded a lot of distros in the past and a few have been BSD... but not for years. If I would have been into them as I am now, I probably would have learned on Unix instead of Linux because I'd want to know it from the command line...

If you understand Linux and are comfortable with it, load a BSD... but what you're expecting isn't going to look like a 16 bit, stripped down OS; it is... I'm sure you can enhance it but if you don't want to learn the guts of it and like the technical side, stick to Linux.

If you want the bare-bones version, go with Unix...

Like said above though, you are putting a wrapper on what you think is more secure. Look at it like the kernel is the gut and there are extensions. No matter what you do in any distro, it's the same.

You can make a Linux box more secure than BSD and vice versa. The "default" security of an OS shouldn't sway you. If you don't want to truly learn an OS, neither is for you and if you rely on defaults, please join me in breaking free from the Windows world.

Load a few, find your flavor, and remember in the end, they're all the same with different themes... pretty much.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    remember in the end, they're all the same with different themes... pretty much.
    Not exactly true. Each Linux distro does look similar, almost as if they are the same thing but with a different GUI and default software. In some cases this is true. However, there are major differences between distros.

They all run a Linux kernel and at a low level, mostly have the same tools

Some run cutting edge software such as Fedora and Siduction. These are called unstable as they are always changing. Centos and Debian among others go the other way and provide well patched but older versions of the software. Once installed you will rarely get updates other than bug fixes and security patches. These are called stable as they don't change and enterprises prefer these.

Some are designed to run on older hardware and some definitely are not

Most distros are binary based but some such as Gentoo and Crux are source based. This means you compile your software to meet your needs. Do it right and you can get a significant performance boost. You can do this on binary distros also, but you don't have to.

Do you want a rolling release where your software is always up to date or do you prefer a more traditional (to a Windows user) regular release schedule?

Package managers and configuration tools also vary wildly as does the amount of customisation made to the software. Slackware for instance packages up the vanilla upstream code and Ubuntu applies a huge number of specific patches.

Philosophy. Some distros make it very easy to install closed source binary blobs such as the Nvidia drivers, others put them into separate repositories that you have to add and some that are truly free software do not have them available at all.

As I'm running out of time, I'll finish for now with community. These vary wildly and can be big or small, welcoming or not. Some communities have far more say in the direction of the distro than others.

These are just a few of the differences out there. It's an interesting world and as you venture further in, you will discover which are important to you and like me, you may be surprised where you end up.

As long as you enjoy the journey, it's all good.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    As long as you enjoy the journey, it's all good.
    That pretty well says it all right there, and I'm in total agreement with it!
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast