Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Ubuntu 12.04 on Mac G4 "Graphite" (Sawtooth). I'll apologize up front if I've posted in the wrong place - someone feel free to redirect if I have. I've installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to boot SSD on Mac "Graphite" G4

Running Ubuntu 12.04 on Mac G4 "Graphite" (Sawtooth).

I'll apologize up front if I've posted in the wrong place - someone feel free to redirect if I have. I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a Legacy 64 GB SSD (so I could easily determine which drive is booted) via a SATA - USB adapter. I was able to boot this distro through the adapter, so I know it's bootable and working correctly. The SSD is now plugged into the second hard drive sockett using an IDE - SATA adapter. Running the command "lshw" I see the drive properly formatted and partitioned, but by default the computer always boots the native hard drive running Ubuntu 12.04. Is there a bootloader for yaboot (like GRUB in Linux) that allows you to choose at start-up which drive boots? If so, how would I install it?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You will need to alter the grub boot configuration to allow you to do this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by AMCdan View Post
    Running Ubuntu 12.04 on Mac G4 "Graphite" (Sawtooth).

I'll apologize up front if I've posted in the wrong place - someone feel free to redirect if I have. I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a Legacy 64 GB SSD (so I could easily determine which drive is booted) via a SATA - USB adapter. I was able to boot this distro through the adapter, so I know it's bootable and working correctly. The SSD is now plugged into the second hard drive sockett using an IDE - SATA adapter. Running the command "lshw" I see the drive properly formatted and partitioned, but by default the computer always boots the native hard drive running Ubuntu 12.04. Is there a bootloader for yaboot (like GRUB in Linux) that allows you to choose at start-up which drive boots? If so, how would I install it?
    I will base my advice on the assumption that GRUB2 is your current bootloader. You probably can do this one of several ways, but i will show u the way i do it:

In Ubuntu 12.04 enter into terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This should update your GRUB to show you Ubuntu 10.10 as well.

If your GRUB boot list doesn't show up after that, try the following:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub.d
    It should show up a list of various grub configurations, you need to alter the following line:
    Code:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    Change it to any number above 0, keeping in mind that it is in seconds. 10 seconds is the normal.

Once you have saved your changes you need to re-run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Just Joined!
    yu have to change the settings on grub.
    OpenSUSE.png