Results 1 to 2 of 2
REQUEST: Advise/Recommendations for Dev. Workflow Advise/Links to useful resources PROBLEM SUMMARY: Create a FREE VirtualBox Guest Machine with FREE embedded custom learning content pre-loaded. PRIORITIZED OBJECTIVES: Probable target OS will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 07-30-2013 #1
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
- Louisville, KY
Developing a Virtualized FreeBSD Guest for Tutorials
- Advise/Recommendations for Dev. Workflow
- Advise/Links to useful resources
Create a FREE VirtualBox Guest Machine with FREE embedded custom learning content pre-loaded.
- Probable target OS will be FreeBSD (long story here).
- Target audience: Mac/Win users, new to Linux
- Modular HTML curriculum
- Tools/Packages: Probably linked to, but possibly pre-installed
- Ease of use for students (one download, one click - almost)
- Ease of dev/maintenance (Git/SVN/SourceForge?)
- Possibly (eventually) target initial LPI cert
- Share via torrent, keep size < 2 Gigs
(LACK OF) SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT:
- There is no SME thus far (just me).
- I have used Linux off/on for over 10 yrs
- My Pearl/bash script skills are weak
- I'll leverage non-profit/educ "fair use" rules.
RELEVANT PRIOR COURSE DESIGN:
- I have created Captivate SCORM modules
- I have created Camptasia tutorials
- I have worked with almost every major LMS
- I've used virtual guests for many years.
Thank you so much!,
- 07-31-2013 #2
- Join Date
- Apr 2009
- I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
1. Create a vbox virtual machine.
2. install all the stuff you need.
3. Configure it as you want for people to run and get started.
4. Shut down the VM.
5. Go to the VirtualBox File menu and run the "Export Appliance" option.
The last thing will create an OVF file that can be imported by VirtualBox and other virtual machine managers. When it is run, it will provide your VM to the user as desired. I would suggest that you read section "1.14. Importing and exporting virtual machines" in the VirtualBox help tool.Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!