Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Would it be possible to install MacOS X programs or FreeBSD programs or Solaris programs on the Linux sine they are all Unix based operating systems? If all these operating ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22

    porting with MacOS X and FreeBSD and Solaris


    Would it be possible to install MacOS X programs or FreeBSD programs or Solaris programs on the Linux sine they are all Unix based operating systems? If all these operating systmes are written under same set of standards, my presumption is that the programs written for these operating systems should run on all of them. So is there an appliaction out there that will port the programs to all the unix like operating systems?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Linux Guru sarumont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    3,682
    If you have the source code, it is highly probable that things will compile on Linux that were written for FBSD and Solaris (x86). Things written for OSX won't compile on Linux without some porting/hacking (99% anyway) as they are written for the PPC architecture and bastardized (not vanilla) FreeBSD. Though BSD may be somewhere down in the depths of OSX, it *is* made by Apple. This means that there is a 100% chance that things that they write for OSX will not compile/run cleanly on a real FreeBSD installation.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22
    well i guess OSX programs won't run on BSD because they are not open source ( I guess we can only emulate them, like we do it with windows programs through Wine) but other programs regardless what Unix type OS they are written for, can be compiled on any platform as long as its a source tarball and not a package.

    I'm surprised that Linux, BSD, Solaris don't have an easy way of installing tarballs but rather you have to go thorugh unefficient way of installing, compiling,untar the tarball. In know that BSD has porting option that automates this process but I'm not too familiar if that is true. Other way of installing programs could be to install the packages but they don't work on all OS's and are even ditro dependant for Linux where package written for Red Hat won't work on mankrake for example.

  4. #4
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by igracgq
    I'm surprised that Linux, BSD, Solaris don't have an easy way of installing tarballs but rather you have to go thorugh unefficient way of installing, compiling,untar the tarball. In know that BSD has porting option that automates this process but I'm not too familiar if that is true. Other way of installing programs could be to install the packages but they don't work on all OS's and are even ditro dependant for Linux where package written for Red Hat won't work on mankrake for example.
    on FreeBSD:
    cd /usr/ports/category_of_program/program_i_want_to_install/
    make install clean


    couldn't be simpler than that. or if you want to do it via packages:
    pkg_add -r package_name

    both are very effecient and reliable (they usually do not break).

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    826
    oh, and i've tried to install a few programs from source on FreeBSD that were written for Linux. never worked though. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i've never had it work.

  6. #6
    Linux Guru sarumont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    oh, and i've tried to install a few programs from source on FreeBSD that were written for Linux. never worked though. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i've never had it work.
    You have to have Linux Compatibilty built into the kernel, as both kernels handle kernel-level stuff differently. I've never tried it, but I know that's the first step to getting it to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by igracgq
    I guess we can only emulate them, like we do it with windows programs through Wine
    Wine is not an emulator..............
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  7. #7
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    You have to have Linux Compatibilty built into the kernel, as both kernels handle kernel-level stuff differently. I've never tried it, but I know that's the first step to getting it to work.
    i have the linux compatability layer installed and i am able to run linux programs that i built from the ports tree such as linux-flashplugin and linux-sun-jdk. maybe there's something i'm doing wrong but i am unable to run anything written specifically for Linux that is not in the FreeBSD ports tree.

  8. #8
    Linux Guru sarumont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    You have to have Linux Compatibilty built into the kernel, as both kernels handle kernel-level stuff differently. I've never tried it, but I know that's the first step to getting it to work.
    i have the linux compatability layer installed and i am able to run linux programs that i built from the ports tree such as linux-flashplugin and linux-sun-jdk. maybe there's something i'm doing wrong but i am unable to run anything written specifically for Linux that is not in the FreeBSD ports tree.
    Weird...I'll let you know what I come up with when I put FreeBSD on my desktop. That will probably happen when I get my new HDD in and set up RAID.

    Edit: Looks like my HDD will be here today...w00t! RAID0!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  9. #9
    Linux Guru dylunio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Wine is not an emulator..............
    I know Wine Is Not an Emulator (WINE), but what is it then?

    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

  10. #10
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Wine is not an emulator..............
    I know Wine Is Not an Emulator (WINE), but what is it then?

    dylunio
    it is an "Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix."

    edit: read this as well: http://winehq.com/site/myths#slow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •