Find the answer to your Linux question:
In Mavericks, Apple has apparently moved control of log rotation to ASL. There's a 'ttl' value to determine how long log files will stick around for. I can compress them, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question OSX 10.9 "Mavericks" log rotation

In Mavericks, Apple has apparently moved control of log rotation to ASL. There's a 'ttl' value to determine how long log files will stick around for. I can compress them, change the way they're named, limit them by size, etc. But the one thing I cannot find is how to NOT keep one log file per day... I want to be able to say this log file should rotate weekly, or monthly, or every X days.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What does the Apple documentation (man pages and such) say about this? What have you found with Google et al? If this was Linux using logrotate, I could easily answer your question. Unfortunately I don't know about this situation.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I use Mac for audio work and Apple bastardized BSD so it looks only like Unix they have their own config files they read so you're going to have to dig into Inside Mac or whatever under the hood book you can find. Try posting here they are good and kludges for Mac's.

Mac OS X Hints - A community-built collection of OS X hints
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close