Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Saw a new BSD Distro on Distro Watch called GhostBSD. I can download it with a MATE or Xfce Desktop(probably go Xfce) and just wonder how hard it would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GhostBSD, anyone using it?

Saw a new BSD Distro on Distro Watch called GhostBSD. I can download it with a MATE or Xfce Desktop(probably go Xfce) and just wonder how hard it would be to install and run? I've been messing around with Linux based Distros for over a year now and would like to give a BSD Distro a try if for no other reason the fun of it. Anything special I need to do to install it on my HP/Compaq NC6400? Will it have drivers and stuff for my bluetooth and wifi out of the box? What is the package manager like? I'm use to apt-get and pacman, never did anything with BSD so it'd be totally new territory for me. Thanks for any info or help you can give.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    It's built on FreeBSD which I used for years - beginning with its first release. An excellent OS and the main reason I moved off it was I spent a lot of time compiling software for it. The desktop wasn't its focus but since it is with Ghost it's probably a good choice.

FreeBSD uses something called ports for package management though I here they are moving to something new. I presume GhostBSD uses the same.

I got GhostBSD downloaded but it's an .img file and the dd command they gave in their wiki just doesn't work to move it to a USB stick for install. I'm currently using UNetbootin to download FreeBSD 8.0 to a USB stick so I can at least try to boot to it and see what it's all about. Wish me Luck, I'm going to need it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, since I'm not use to using fdisk to set up partitions trying to install FreeBSD was a total fail and since I can get GhostBSD onto a USB drive to try to install it I have no idea how it'd be to install. Why can't devs add a decent GUI installer to their Distros, I mean it IS 2014 and many other Distros do it, not like we're living in the DOS days with graphics only.

Linux Guru
    According to this: GhostBSD Users Handbook - GhostBSD Wiki Ghost does have a graphical installer.

Now if they'd just make it an .iso instead of a .img then I could use UNetbootin to make a Live USB to boot to.

Ok, just for grins I checked out the DVD version of GhostBSD and it's an .iso, go figure. So, I'm going to download it then I can use that copy to put onto a USB stick with UNetbootin. Not sure why they have the USB version as a .img file and not an .iso.

Well, stuck the .iso onto a USB stick with UNetbootin and it was a total no go. Figured what the heck, I'll burn it to a DVD but still, wouldn't boot to a Live requirement. Something was borked with the xserver or some such. Guess I'm going to give up on BSD for the moment.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Unetbootin won't get you anywhere. Why don't you just use dd instead? It worked perfectly for me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Well, since I'm not use to using fdisk to set up partitions trying to install FreeBSD was a total fail
    Read the manual for fdisk, it's not that hard.
    and since I can get GhostBSD onto a USB drive to try to install it I have no idea how it'd be to install.
    Like Priareos said - you have to dd the img fine onto the USB stick.
    Why can't devs add a decent GUI installer to their Distros, I mean it IS 2014 and many other Distros do it, not like we're living in the DOS days with graphics only.
    I don't see what it being "2014" has to do with anything nor why a "GUI installer" would be useful. A GUI installer is not much use on certain systems or when running headless or unattended installs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast