Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did a download of PC-BSD 10 and burned it to DVD and it actually booted up. I'm currently doing an install on an external SSD drive and have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

PC-BSD 10, a ton of questions.

I did a download of PC-BSD 10 and burned it to DVD and it actually booted up. I'm currently doing an install on an external SSD drive and have an RJ-45 cable plugged in since I had no clues as to how to get the wifi working but it does look like the cable connection is working.
    So, how do I update things, where do I find software packages, can I use the Terminal with some kind of command to update and download packages like I do in Linux or is there a GUI that I use or what?
    What tips, tricks, info, short cuts to get things working, extra stuff I need to install, ect. can you tell me about to get me started on running PC-BSD? Is there a book, like say BSD for Dummies or something that I can buy that'll explain stuff in simple terms so I can understand it and figure stuff out?
    I'm kind of excited, I feel like a kid at Christmas who's getting a new toy or something. I love messing with stuff like this and I'd really love to learn all I can about BSD. Need input, more input,LOL Thanks
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    There's a Handbook tradition with the BSD's and it looks like PC-BSD is no different: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/handbook/9.2...0of%20Contents

I noticed that. Wish I could get it printed out so I can sit and read it in the living room. Seem like updates and package management are done via a GUI and there's the AppCafe where I can get packages, not opened it up yet to check it out but I'll bet it'll be like PacmanXG or Synaptic. PC-BSD comes with KDE or Fluxbox, I'm running KDE, not my first choice but better then Fluxbox since KDE looks more like MATE or Xfce that I'm use to running.
    Seems a bit slower then Linux, yes, I know I'm running from an External SSD through USB but I also have a Linux Mint 17 MATE install on an external SSD and it's practically as fast as the installed SSD is.
    This is going to be interesting, fun and give me something to play with and learn about. I'm just glad I finally got one of the BSD's to boot up so that I could install it and play around with it for a while. Anyway, need to keep checkin' things out. I'm in Firefox right now from the PC-BSD system and things seem to be doing ok. Talk to ya'll later and keep any tips, tricks or ideas coming. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I keep trying to do updates and I keep getting this in the details.

"pkg: Repository pcbsd-sysrel missing. 'pkg update' required
    pkg: No package database installed. Nothing to do!"

No Idea what to do with this. In Arch I'd simply do a "sudo pacman -Syy" to update my mirrors but in BSD, well???