Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just a couple questions about FreeBSD

I'm thinking about trying out FreeBSD as my daily driver(I'm only working with 76 gigs so having multiple OS's installed is inconvenient at best) but I have some questions about the OS.

does it have multilib support. I know it has a linux compatibility layer but if I have a 32 bit game designed for linux would it play? (this was the deal breaker with openbsd

I have a S**tload of books on linux for everything from hardening the system to System administration. is the architecture similar enough to where 90% of what is in the books will still be applicable or is working on BSD going to be like performing neurosugery with a degree in dentistry?

what are some of the drawbacks of BSD that you experience as a User?

any help would be appreciated

Just a couple questions about FreeBSD
    Have you read some of the threads at

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/everything-bsd/

or Joined

*BSD Forum

I run BSD on one Dell T3400

rokytnji has installed a BSD! The end of the world as we know it.
    Long story on drawbacks and other queries. Brain surgeon speak is required. I don't speak brain surgeon.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

6.3. Productivity

When it comes to productivity, new users often look for an office suite or an easy-to-use word processor. While some desktop environments like KDE provide an office suite, there is no default productivity package. Several office suites and graphical word processors are available for FreeBSD, regardless of the installed window manager.

This section demonstrates how to install the following popular productivity software and indicates if the application is resource-heavy, takes time to compile from ports, or has any major dependencies.
    Application Name Resources Needed Installation from Ports Major Dependencies
    Calligra light heavy KDE
    AbiWord light light Gtk+ or GNOME
    The Gimp light heavy Gtk+
    Apache OpenOffice heavy huge JDK™ and Mozilla
    LibreOffice somewhat heavy huge Gtk+, or KDE/ GNOME, or JDK™
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-26-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    -->
    Hi.

See also DaemonForums - BSD forum

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

$spacer_open
$spacer_close