Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Openbsd on proprietary Cisco IPS 4255

To summarize, the cisco was booting a crude linux 2.4 kernel specialized for Linux from an internal flashcard slot. I already successfully booted ubuntu by just manipulating the grub.cfg file to point to the correct initrd and correct kernel file. It worked fine. It was using legacy GNU grub and cisco had done a tiny bit to obscure how it started up but it was all just basic gnu grub manipulation and some weirdo symlinking. It wasn't anything earth shattering.

Second I tried to boot freebsd. I used this method in the grub.cfg file since the actual installed disk was on a secondary external slot:
    title OpenBSD 5.9
    root (hd1,0,a)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

The install took off but somewhere along the way it gave me an input output error. Googling revealed that a bsd kernel is like 20 meg and I might be running up against a 15-16 bios memory hole limitation and since the bios is very locked I can't manipulate it.

I tried openbsd, very similiar grub chainloader setup. This time I had to use a different root drive label.
    title OpenBSD 3.0
    root (hd0,3,a)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

This .. again kicked off the boot process but it got to the part in the openbsd boot where it says "disks:" and just freezes. I am not sure of a certain way to debug BSD boot to see what's gone wrong. Anyone have suggestions? I know this is highly unorthodox so I'll understand if I just get a lot of *shrugs*...
    Kind regards guys/gals...

CB

I do not know a lot about BSD, but Googling "bsd boot messages", led me to this page.
    https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/25316/

You can use "dmesg -a"
    If you want to learn more about linux take a linux journey
    https://linuxjourney.com/
    Use CODE tags when posting output of commands. Thank you.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/608410.png

Just Joined!

Boot log of hal interactions with ips hardware

-->
    There might be some clue in this attached log since I was indeed able to boot Ubuntu 16.04 and it's pretty much verbose in what's it's detecting and doing while booting up on the IPS hardware. Hoping maybe this may give one of the BSD guys a good idea of what's causing the BSD kernels to crash out ...

Please find attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

$spacer_open
$spacer_close