Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to mount nfs shares and format disk

hi all,

im a newbie when it comes to freebsd (thought the commands would be the same as linux but not)

i have made a freebsd machine, got it up and running, now i want to mount remote nfs shares on it and format my sdb and use it as another hard drive

can anyone show me how to do it please

many thanks,

rob

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do tell me that /dev/sdb is NOT an NFS share?! If not, then you need to partition /dev/sdb and then format the partition, such as /dev/sdb1. Voila! Another drive! Then you can create mount points there for your NFS shares such as /mnt/nfs1, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

First, it is FreeBSD, not freebsd. Second, there is no sdb in FreeBSD. The naming convention differs from Linux, it will be da* or ad*, depending on driver in use. Third, mounting NFS shares in FreeBSD is not that different, there may be minor differences, nothing that mount and fstab man pages won't cover.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks for the clarification Segfault. I haven't used BSD-based systems since the 1980's. I think I forgot more than I knew! In any case, they still have to partition the drive and format/mount the partition.

FreeBSD is well documented. https://www.freebsd.org/docs.html
    I personally do not partition disks for a single filesystem, UFS can be laid directly to the raw device.

I think you can do that with Linux as well, but it is better to partition it, in my opinion. It seems to me to be a "cleaner" option. I have used UFS on Unix/Solaris systems. I still partitioned them.

Yes, I do the same thing in Linux. One layer less, and you cannot misalign partitions if you don't have them.
    Code:
    # file -s /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb: SGI XFS filesystem data (blksz 4096, inosz 512, v2 dirs)