1 1.39%
  • ClosedBSD

0 0%
  • PicoBSD

0 0%
  • Other (please post)

8 11.11%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Let's see who's using which *BSD, and more importantly, why? Are you using it as a server, router, desktop, etc.? I'm using FreeBSD as the only OS on my desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Which *BSD?

Let's see who's using which *BSD, and more importantly, why? Are you using it as a server, router, desktop, etc.?

I'm using FreeBSD as the only OS on my desktop computer. I wanted to use a *BSD because of ports and I find Free to be the most user-friendly *BSD, and therefore the most suitable for desktops. Sure, you've gotta read a gazillion pages of documentation and spend a while setting things up to meet your needs, but it's worth it for the high level of configurability and potential that FreeBSD has compared to most other OS's.

The only other *BSD I've tried is Open, but Free has a much larger userbase and I was so used to it anyways that I switched back.

i am using openbsd as a server. However, my brother set it up, so i actually didn't get any knowledge by creating it
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie

FreeBSD

I have FreeBSD installed strictly as as file server, I share

through samba (mp3s of course)

and NFS. I have my linux boxes automtically mount the nfs shares upon boot. Its great!

I have several other servers installed but not configured like

jabber server

DNS

FTP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I have FreeBSD 4.10 on my 486, soon it will be serving up the internet to my Linux box. At least until the Linux box has a way to connect my modem to it, then my 486 will be useless again

I'm running OpenBSD as my router. Packet Filter is awesome and, IMHO, pwnz iptables (which both decimate ZoneAlarm ). I'll be loading up something that I have in the basement soon to be a print server (prolly a PI-200ish) for my Laserjet 4L. This will prolly be Open, as well. I'm going to put free on my desktop as soon as I migrate all my backups off my 80G hard drive onto my new RAID array (2x160s striped w00t).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I think the closest I to a BSD now is my newage Mac, but I'm planning at getting a freeBSD machine going to handle routing and firewall duty.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Well I have 2 FreeBSD computers. One Proxy/Firewall and one mail server. I have another that I use White Box Linux on.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

I voted freebsd. I am downloading it right now and I am going to try it as a desktop for a while. About 5 years ago I used free bsd as a destop and my old work it was really stable and I want to see how it is now.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

I have used FreeSBIE 1.1 (it is somewhere around here ) wasn't to bad. Maybe someday, I will isntall freebsd to a hard drive and play for real
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

getting closer to FreeBsd got 2 floppies need 2 more....why did aol stop sending me free ones *grumbles*
    though it will most likely just be a router
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast