Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Welcome home Sether. I will be asking a lot of questions I hope you are game. hehe Mike...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Welcome Home

Welcome home Sether.
    I will be asking a lot of questions I hope you are game. hehe
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    haha. i hope i can answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    The answer is 42, of course!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    All right Sether - I am going to install bsd on my desktop at home this weekend - Be Ready hehe
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

What you talkin' bout Willis? Sarumont already answered you, man. It's 42!

42 what?
    -- Linus Torvalds

Oh sorry. According to Douglas Adam's Comprehensive SciFi classic series, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is simply the number 42. The rest of the series is spent trying to find out what the question was. The protagonist, Arthur Dent, comes close to the question when he randomly draws Scrabble tiles from a bag:
    "WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU MULTIPLY SEVEN TIMES NINE"
    Unfortunately, 7*9=63, so that answer..er..question is thrown out. They finally get the answer at the end, well kinda, but I won't ruin that for you.
    -lakerdonald

Thank you for sparing my feelings. I actually received that book for a christmas present last year but haven't read it. If you recommend it I may give it a shot.
    As far as freebsd I am going to try and prove your 42 Theory you may be on to something.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Ok first question. I have a 30 gig hd and I am not sure where freeBSD puts things. Here is what I usually do I am open to suggestions.
    /boot 78 ext3
    / 1000 ext3
    /usr 6000 ext3
    /var 1000 ext3
    /home the rest ext3

This how I do a desktop partition in Linux
    ext 3 is probably a non issue in BSD

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Ok first question. I have a 30 gig hd and I am not sure where freeBSD puts things. Here is what I usually do I am open to suggestions.
    /boot 78 ext3
    / 1000 ext3
    /usr 6000 ext3
    /var 1000 ext3
    /home the rest ext3

This how I do a desktop partition in Linux
    ext 3 is probably a non issue in BSD

Mike
    in FreeBSD it's completely different. it uses it's own file system and it's own labelling method to label partitions. if you look at how FreeBSD resides on your harddrive under Linux it'll appear as one partition, even if you've made one partition for /home, one for /usr, etc. i would personally use the "auto" setting for this cause the FreeBSD installer probably knows what's best, unless you have some specific request. just press "a" when it comes to the partitioning. and then "q" to finish. just for referece, here's my df -h:
    Code:
    Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/ad0s1a    248M     38M    190M    17%    /
    devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
    /dev/ad0s1e    248M     19M    209M     8%    /tmp
    /dev/ad0s1f     35G    3.4G     29G    10%    /usr
    /dev/ad0s1d    248M     29M    199M    13%    /var
    this is on a 40GB hard drive with 1024mb for swap.

oh and by the way, if you want a separate /home, it resides under /usr (ie it's /usr/home/ not /home, though if you type cd /home it will take you to /usr/home)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast