Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have yet to track down why I have no issue during the 4.11 sysinstall, partioning/label portion of the install and yet get (during the boot up a bunch of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

FBSD 4.11 = yes .. FBSD 5.3 = no; do *scratchhead*

I have yet to track down why I have no issue during the 4.11 sysinstall, partioning/label portion of the install and yet get (during the boot up a bunch of READ_DMA errors ) and differring errors , all boiling down to unable to write to / or access swap etc. Truly a mystery. Any insight appreciated. The box in question is housing a Maxtor 80G which causes no issues with any linux or earlier fbsd releases.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

That happened to me once with FreeBSD on my laptop, and I did it several times, to prove it wasn't just some sporatic thing. Then I came back and tried a month or so later, and it worked. Did you do anything special with your disks partitioning/filesystem wise?

Linux Engineer
    Try booting with ACPI disabled, perhaps?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    nope, followed the same partition schema I used for 4.11 release.
    I think it has to be a bug in sysinstall or possibly in kernel.. I'm leaning towards kernel as the initial errors (the READ_DMA) in the boot process obviously occur prior to the sysinstall issue.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a

tried the no acpi option as well.Much harder to run an strace or debug when the system is as yet un-installed . heh.
    bash-3.00$ uname -a

Think at this point I may give the fbsd liveCD a whirl and install2hd. But I can't stand not resolving an issue.
    bash-3.00$ uname -a

Linux Engineer
    The only other things I can think of at the moment are
    1) Is the version of 5.3 you have a Beta, or the final release?
    2) Perhaps the drive is going bad (though this wouldn't make a whole lot of sense). If you can, humor me and run the "Drive Fitness Test":
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Hmm, I gave the solution I used to resolve this on irc, but not here. My bad.
    The issued was with the ide cable (the way the version of the ata driver was written with this release, it doesn't change the dma if the cable can't handle the io as it previously did). So buying an 80 wire ide cable resolved the issue and I was able to install.
    bash-3.00$ uname -a

Linux Engineer
    Also, you should try 5.4, 5.3 kernel panic'ed because of my sansun 256MB mp3-player, thought 5.4 does to, 5.4 at least tries to unload the da0 a couple of times before it kernel panics, and it then even reboots for you instead of freezing the system... Thought that only happens to my spesific mp3-player (of them I've tried, other usb-storage worked fine), your problem my have been solved since 5.3, you should give it a try.