Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Freebsd last night. I did all the easy do it for me options since I am not familiar with BSD yet. I must say this was the easiest ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

fresh freebsd install

I installed Freebsd last night. I did all the easy do it for me options since I am not familiar with BSD yet. I must say this was the easiest install ever. It only took about 15 min. at the most and I was in some window manager I have never seen but I managed to get to Mozilla and surf. That is all I had time for but I would like to change window managers. Can anybody tell me where to change window managers. There is a /etc/X11 but when I go there it is empty.

So far I am impressed with the speed.
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer

Re: fresh freebsd install

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    It only took about 15 min. at the most and I was in some window manager I have never seen but I managed to get to Mozilla and surf.
    It was probably twm.
    Can anybody tell me where to change window managers.
    Code:
    cd
    vi .xinitrc
    Then in this file add any window manager you'd like to start, ie "fluxbox" for fluxbox, "startkde" for KDE, "exec gnome-session" for Gnome, etc. You do, of course, have to have these installed first.
    There is a /etc/X11 but when I go there it is empty.
    This means you have not configured X yet. Do xorgcfg -textmode as root. Even if X is already working it's best to get it working with the right driver, etc.

You're going to find you're gonna spend a lot of time configuring FreeBSD - it's not pre-configured for regular use like most Linux distros are.

Good luck, and tell me how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sether

You're going to find you're gonna spend a lot of time configuring FreeBSD - it's not pre-configured for regular use like most Linux distros are.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I will definitely keep you informed.
    I am at work and can't play with it till tonight. I am not scared of a little configuration. I use slackware too.
    I am assuming I will have to use something called ports to get gnome or kde or windowmaker. I usually use windowmaker but I download kde and gnome libs. Will I get these from ports and if so can you give me a brief overview of what that is and how to use it.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I will definitely keep you informed.
    I am at work and can't play with it till tonight. I am not scared of a little configuration. I use slackware too.
    I am assuming I will have to use something called ports to get gnome or kde or windowmaker. I usually use windowmaker but I download kde and gnome libs. Will I get these from ports and if so can you give me a brief overview of what that is and how to use it.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Ports is very intuitive and pretty easy to use. You first have to grab the ports tree and put it in /usr/. This can be done (initially it's the best way) by grabbing a tarballed snapshot from a freebsd ftp and untarring it in your /usr directory. From here, you use cvsup to update your tree. This is well documented on FBSD's site.

To use ports, just cd to the directory of the port (e.g.: cd /usr/ports/shells/bash) and type make. Then su and make install. Bam. It resolves dependencies like portage (or rather...portage resolves dependencies like ports), so you'll get everything that you need.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Yes, ports are indeed cool. Read this entire section:
    http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/en_US...ook/ports.html

It well tell you a lot.

But for KDE or Gnome, it'll take a few hours to get those compiled, so use the package system:
    Code:
    pkg_add -r kde
    or
    Code:
    pkg_add -r gnome
    as root.

Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Ports is very intuitive and pretty easy to use. You first have to grab the ports tree and put it in /usr/. This can be done (initially it's the best way) by grabbing a tarballed snapshot from a freebsd ftp and untarring it in your /usr directory.
    Using sysinstall might be easier:
    Sysinstall Method

This method involves using sysinstall again to manually install the Ports Collection.

As root, run sysinstall (/stand/sysinstall in FreeBSD versions older than 5.2) as shown below:

# sysinstall

Scroll down and select Configure, press Enter.

Scroll down and select Distributions, press Enter.

Scroll down to ports, press Space.

Scroll up to Exit, press Enter.

Select your desired installation media, such as CDROM, FTP, and so on.

Scroll up to Exit and press Enter.

Press X to exit sysinstall.

It well tell you a lot.

But for KDE or Gnome, it'll take a few hours to get those compiled, so use the package system:
    Code:
    pkg_add -r kde
    or
    Code:
    pkg_add -r gnome
    as root.
    Do I need to do the ports thing before I get kde or can I get my windows managers then do the ports thing or is ports even a necessity? can I buld packages as I would in Linux?

Sether I printed out your flow chart I will try that tonight.
    Thanks
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer

It well tell you a lot.

Code:
    pkg_add -r kde
    or
    Code:
    pkg_add -r gnome
    as root.
    Do I need to do the ports thing before I get kde or can I get my windows managers then do the ports thing or is ports even a necessity? can I buld packages as I would in Linux?

Sether I printed out your flow chart I will try that tonight.
    Thanks
    Read the link I posted and you'll be well informed.

Packages and Ports are two different systems for obtaining and installing software. You choose which one to use, but if you want to save time on large things like KDE, use a package for that.

OK I will read that tonight and I will get back to you.
    Thanks Sether
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds