Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster Holy ****, well sorrryy, umm they arent smooth or anything, really nasty looking. You probably never configured X, or if you did, you might have entered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster
    Holy ****, well sorrryy, umm they arent smooth or anything, really nasty looking.
    You probably never configured X, or if you did, you might have entered the wrong info. That's usually the most common reason.

Linux Newbie
    Acutally I did, not everyone is the uprising newbie intelligence rate, you so you can shut it, well if i didnt configure x properly, then I wouldnt have proper display, and it wss 1024x768 75hz, so thats not it.
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

Linux Engineer
    Acutally I did, not everyone is the uprising newbie intelligence rate, you so you can shut it, well if i didnt configure x properly, then I wouldnt have proper display, and it wss 1024x768 75hz, so thats not it.
    Sorry, just a lot of people with X problems forget to configure X. I didn't mean to come off as an ******* - I'm just in a crappy mood today and I probably should've phrased the post differently (as a question instead of stating an assumption).

What video card and monitor are you using?

Linux Newbie
    Oh no problem, im sorry myself because I sound *****y. Umm it's a GeForce FX 5200, that might explain something because it's a nvidia card. The monitor is a dell lcd, can't remember which model.

Linux Engineer
    Oh no problem, im sorry myself because I sound *****y. Umm it's a GeForce FX 5200, that might explain something because it's a nvidia card. The monitor is a dell lcd, can't remember which model.
    The open source nvidia driver should suffice, but you might get better results with the official nvidia driver. You can get it from the ports collection - it's in x11/nvidia-driver.

Also, for some strange reason, xorgcfg comments out the vertical sync and horizontal refresh rates by default in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If this is the case, uncomment those lines, as the rates you manually entered are probably more suited to your monitor than the ones X uses by default.

Linux Newbie
    Ok thanks, im gonna do a clean install of something now, either bsd or gentoo 2004.3, can't make up my mind.

Oh by the way, how did you get hold of openbsd? Did you buy it or use the unoffical iso images?

edit: BSD It is.

Linux Engineer
    Oh by the way, how did you get hold of openbsd? Did you buy it or use the unoffical iso images?
    They encourage people to buy the CDs by not providing complete .iso's, but you can still get ftp install .iso's for free off their website. For example, the OBSD 3.6 ftp install .iso for i386 is here:
    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/i386/cd36.iso

The cd36.iso will allow you to to setup partitions, but you need internet access to obtain the base system and packages when installing from cd36.iso. If you don't have internet access or just want everything on one CD, there is a way of creating your own complete install .iso, but you should just be fine with cd36.iso.

I tried 3.6 and was happy so I'm gonna buy the official 3.7 CDs when it comes out.

edit: BSD It is.
    You've made the right choice!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks mate you solved the sound problem, now it's just the fonts, oh yeah is there anyway i can make that module load at startup?

edit: ok everythings too screwed up on freebsd, the mouse wheel fonts, mointor synch or whatever it is, so im gonna download that iso.

Linux Engineer
    Thanks mate you solved the sound problem, now it's just the fonts, oh yeah is there anyway i can make that module load at startup?

edit: ok everythings too screwed up on freebsd, the mouse wheel fonts, mointor synch or whatever it is, so im gonna download that iso.
    Heh, ok. Just for reference, you would add
    Code:
    snd_driver_load="YES"
    to /boot/loader.conf it FreeBSD. But OpenBSD should load that sound module by default anyways.

Linux Newbie
    Wow, I can't beleive it's only 4meg, a whole system from scratch. Anyways thanks, openbsd sounds alot stricter and doesnt let things like that go astray.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4