Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I su - in FreeBSD I am trying to switch to Root but it keeps telling me sorry. What gives? Mike...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

su -?

How do I su - in FreeBSD I am trying to switch to Root but it keeps telling me sorry. What gives?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

You have to be in the wheel group. In the most Linux distros you're in the wheel group by default.
    Code:
    pw user mod USERNAME -G wheel
    That should fix it.
    Edit: sorry forgot you had to have a username too.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by nalg0rath
    You have to be in the wheel group. In the most Linux distros you're in the wheel group by default.
    Code:
    pw user mod USERNAME -G wheel
    That should fix it.
    Edit: sorry forgot you had to have a username too.. :P
    Once I do this I will be able to su - or will this give my username root privileges by default (not what I am looking for if the second)
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    [Once I do this I will be able to su - or will this give my username root privileges by default (not what I am looking for if the second)
    No, you will be able to su to root, you don't have root privs.

Quote Originally Posted by nalg0rath
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    [Once I do this I will be able to su - or will this give my username root privileges by default (not what I am looking for if the second)
    No, you will be able to su to root, you don't have root privs.
    Thanks alot. That worked great!!
    Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Engineer
    you have to be careful when using the '-G' flag for pw(1) usermod... if you don't specify *every* group that the user should be in, his current groups get removed.. i.e. if he was in 'games' and 'disk' and you -G wheel, he will only be in 'wheel'
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    I edited it in /etc/group or something I think, that worked neat at least...

I edited it in /etc/group or something I think, that worked neat at least...
    That's what I do. Easier than the command, IMO (as long as you are careful about things).