Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, What anti-virus software would you recommend for Freebsd that can be installed via ftp or ports? Thanks and cheers...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

anti virus for Freebsd

Hi,

What anti-virus software would you recommend for Freebsd that can be installed via ftp or ports?

Thanks and cheers

http://www.clamav.net/
    it should be in the ports
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    http://www.clamav.net/
    it should be in the ports
    Thanks, Vergil83!

It didn't work the first time I tried it because of some older dependencies I had in the system. Will try again.

/usr/ports/security/f-prot/
    /usr/ports/security/vscan
    Russian UNIX Forums
    http://eugrus.pp.ru

Just Joined!

av for bsd? do what?

AV for BSD? Or Linux? Ummm... why do I have a difficult time grasping that concept? Now, AV for Windows, I can understand.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    You do not need AV for *BSD at ALL. Linux maybe, because it's more vunerable to root kits. But BSD excels in the security area. You want a fast and secure *NIX? Look no further:

http://openbsd.org

Look, folks, I hate to rain on the "most secore OS EV4R!" parade here, but there's nothing wrong with being security-conscious. You're not going to convince me that any OS is impenetrable, and that includes (*gasp*) all the BSD variants.

Although I agree that the need for antivirus is significantly less for non-Microsoft operating systems, I'm not so lost in the zealotry as to believe that my system (or any other system) is completely secure. Back off and let the fellow install antivirus if he wants to. I recommend a good firewall as well, if you don't have one already.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Very true, there should always be extra security, but AV for BSD, well okay, if your running a server. I understand that. No OS is fully secure, and every os is vunerable to relay attacks (is that what they call them?) and DoS attacks.

Just Joined!
    I'm of the camp that isn't much worried about *nix viruses. I figure if I get a virus, it'll be written to use the Win32 API or the Internet Explorer object model. As long as I don't have WINE installed, I think I should be very safe.

I do recommend using CLAM for accessing POP3/SMTP email. But again I say, any virus/trojan/worm coming through your email is most likely written for the WIndows/Internet Explorer world.

That being said. I strongly recommend the book, "Hacking Linux Exposed." And for the flip side, there's a "Hacking Computer Forensics Exposed." The computer forensics book is very interesting, indeed.

IMHO, there are plenty of REAL security threats that deserve a lot more attention than just installing an anti-virus program.

Just Joined!

Clam AV

I've used and been happy with Clam AV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast