Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I still consider myself a Linux newbie but I am always eager to try new things. In September, I may have the chance to start a server (most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

BSD as a file server

Hi all,

I still consider myself a Linux newbie but I am always eager to try new things. In September, I may have the chance to start a server (most likely file but might be ftp) for me and my housemates. I was wondering if FreeBSD (I happen to have a copy so I would most likely go with it) would be a good choice. Am I going to notice a big difference in using BSD over Linux? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    there are a few differences between linux and fbsd.. if you're not very strong in the commandline area, i would suggest learning the console a bit before attempting fbsd.. most of the differences between the two are file/device names and changes in location.. also, bsd's base system is all developed concurrently, and released as one release.. it's not as disjointed as gnu/linux development..

so, basically, if you know a bit about the commandline, can read the handbook and manpages, and aren't afraid to try something new, go ahead and use fbsd.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Thanks for the responses everyone,

I am willing to get my hands "dirty" and prepared to get down to knowing a BSD flavour. I am kinda busy now but I will take a look at that website sometime soon to get a better understanding of BSD for myself.

Thanks again,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.