Find the answer to your Linux question:
In all that I have read so far of the FreeBSD system I saw naught of how it handles fonts. Can it just accept both *.fnt and *.ttf fonts or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fonts in freeBSD

In all that I have read so far of the FreeBSD system I saw naught of how it handles fonts. Can it just accept both *.fnt and *.ttf fonts or does it have its own font system? Have yet to install it want to get an understanding of the install procedure and how it all works before running the install, but I will be installing 5.3

thanks in advance
    feighen

Linux Engineer
    console fonts are handled by syscons and they are .fnt files located in /usr/share/syscons/fonts.

X is a third party package that is the same on all *nix platforms it will run on. So fonts are still handled by X and freetype[12]..

The install process is pretty straight forward.. The only thing that might confuse you is the partitioning scheme used by *BSD. It first creates "slices" (the equivalent of PC partitions). Then it creates subdivisions of the slices as BSD partitions.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Many thanks

Had a sneaky suspicion that X would have some form of hand in rendering the fonts, but once again thanks for the confirmation. As to the install from all I have read it seems like a simple process if you know what your system is, so it should be a fairly easy process to get it all installed and up and running. I am a bit worried about the X install having never had to install it as a separate thing from the actual OS but think it is just a matter of reading what comes up on the screen

If I have any problems I know where to come to help

Feighen

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close