Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, just tried freeSBIE 1.1 live cd, its based on freeBSD 5 apparently and its really dam good, bbut had just one problem, i need the password and such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bit of a n00b question regarding live cd's and printing

hi all, just tried freeSBIE 1.1 live cd, its based on freeBSD 5 apparently and its really dam good, bbut had just one problem, i need the password and such to install a printer via the http://localhost:631 cups setup thingy...
    its not in the manual and i think im probably just being a div but im really stuck as i cant remeber setting up any passwords.
    any help would be brilliant
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux User
    Hmm, from my experience with a few Live CDs, when it asked me for a root password, I just tried typing in root and it worked. You could try that, but I've never tried the distro you're using, so I'm not too sure. I'm sure there should be something about that on the site you got it from or the distro's official site...

Let me see if I can help.................

FreeSBIE uses the powerful CUPS to give you the best printing experience. To enable cups you have to open a terminal and start the CUPS daemon with the following command:
    sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh.sample start

Now, you can configure CUPS with a web browser using this URL:
    http://localhost:631

If you wish to enable CUPS at boot time, you have to do:
    mv /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh
    chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh

and then save your settings with the following command:
    /scripts/save_settings.sh

Linux Engineer
    On many live CDs you can use sudo passwd to change the password. They usually don't have a password set by default, so this will create a new one. Some live CDs use "root" or "toor" or an empty string as the root password also. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Let me see if I can help.................

FreeSBIE uses the powerful CUPS to give you the best printing experience. To enable cups you have to open a terminal and start the CUPS daemon with the following command:
    sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh.sample start

Now, you can configure CUPS with a web browser using this URL:
    http://localhost:631

If you wish to enable CUPS at boot time, you have to do:
    mv /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh
    chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh

and then save your settings with the following command:
    /scripts/save_settings.sh
    yeah already done that, when i do it it asks me for the password.
    will give them words a try, cheers
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap

the sudo thing dint work so just did 'su', then put in 'passwd' and it worked a treat.
    there wasnt a driver for my printer but never mind! at least i learnt something new. cheers for your help

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Ive never had any luck with my printer and any Non-Microsoft OS'es, I think it's probably a winprinter, it's a all-in-one, but I got it free with my computer, so Im not really that bothered about it.

it works ok on linux and windows and on my new mac, but i jst cant be arsed downloading BSD drivers was only an experiment, but i quite like BSD. may well try it fully instlled at some point