Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've recently attempted to install FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE, mostly out of sheer boredom, and I'm attempting to get my USB mouse to work. It's a Logitech MX700 wireless connected to a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and mouse issues...

I've recently attempted to install FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE, mostly out of sheer boredom, and I'm attempting to get my USB mouse to work. It's a Logitech MX700 wireless connected to a USB base station along with my keyboard. The keyboard works, but I'm missing how to configure the mouse. I have X Windows working. Xorgconfig did not set up the mouse correctly, as there was no option for USB, only PS/2 or serial. What more do I have to do?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Try setting the device path to: /dev/input/mice

I have a USB mouse and I had similar problems in other distros, never BSD though.

I ended up just plugging the mouse in with a PS/2 adapter and it seems to work fine EXCEPT for the life of me I can't get the scroll wheel to work. My entry in the xorg.conf file is this:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier  "Mouse1"
          Driver      "mouse"
          Option      "Protocol" "auto"
          Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
          Option      "Buttons" "5"
    EndSection
    This is the same configuration I use on all my Linux boxen, except for the protocol, which is usually "IMPS/2", but when I tried to set that X errored out telling me this:

Code:
    Protocol "IMPS/2" is not supported on this platform.
    Any suggestions?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Sorry techie, I really don't know. I was gonna suggest you use the IMPS/2, but you already tried it. I have a USB and Ive never had a problem with it in BSD. All I had to do was add the zaxismapping. Im running Mandrake at the moment, and my ZAxisMapping Is set to "6 7", if you already havent, try that.

Linux Engineer
    I have freebsd 5.4 running aswell, but here my mousewheel works perfectly, but I do have ps/2 mouse... here's my mouse entry:
    Code:
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "SysMouse"
        Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Have you tried changing mouse settings in /usr/sbin/sysinstall under configure --> mouse? Since you use /dev/sysmouse in xorg.conf, these settings will be used in X as well...

I'll give the "SysMouse" protocol a try. I've been using "auto". I also have tried changing the protocol using sysinstall and although the mouse works just fine in most of those settings, the wheel still doesn't work. I'll try your settings tonight and see what happens.

As a side note, I've also played with my /etc/rc.conf, changing the "moused_type" settings and such. No luck so far with that either. At least I'm learning where all the config files are in BSD.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    "moused_type" in rc.conf only controls the console mouse, actually. And you shouldn't have to use a PS/2 adapter -- just make sure usbd is running (there should be somethng in rc.conf that has it run on startup) and use SysMouse or Sysmouse or whatever it is for the protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    "moused_type" in rc.conf only controls the console mouse, actually.
    That's good to know. One less thing to hack at before I bang my head against the wall.

And you shouldn't have to use a PS/2 adapter -- just make sure usbd is running (there should be somethng in rc.conf that has it run on startup) and use SysMouse or Sysmouse or whatever it is for the protocol.
    I tried the SysMouse protocol and it didn't work for the wheel. I looked at the output of xev and my wheel is registering as a third button when I push it down, but not registering at all when I scroll up or down with it. Basically my mouse is being mapped to 3 buttons and no scroll wheel, regardless of how many buttons or what ZAxisMapping setting I enter into xorg.conf. Is there somewhere else I need to look?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    It seems someone on the FreeBSD mailing lists was having a problem with the same mouse, but with the extra buttons rather than the scroll wheel. Look at his configuration and you should be able to use at least the scroll wheel in Xorg.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ay/088420.html

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    It seems someone on the FreeBSD mailing lists was having a problem with the same mouse, but with the extra buttons rather than the scroll wheel. Look at his configuration and you should be able to use at least the scroll wheel in Xorg.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ay/088420.html
    Ok. I'll give that config a shot. I've searched high and low (and even some BSD Forums) and most people seem to think that I'm just SOL. I refuse to accept defeat this close to having everything working.

On a side note, I have determined that the problem is unique to my mouse, since hooking up a wired wheel mouse and leaving my configurations the same resulted in everything working correctly. But, as I said, I'm not giving up on this yet. If one person has successfully configured the wheel, so shall I. I couldn't care less about the thumb buttons; I never used those even in MS Windows....
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast