Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by whisker is BSD the same as linux? Well, yes. And no. I love how the FreeBSD console interface uses the block cursor rather than that aweful blinking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Re: bsd and linux

Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    is BSD the same as linux?
    Well, yes. And no.

I love how the FreeBSD console interface uses the block cursor rather than that aweful blinking underscore.

Linux Engineer

Re: bsd and linux

Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    I love how the FreeBSD console interface uses the block cursor rather than that aweful blinking underscore.
    And also cooler screensavers in console-mode, which can be choosed easily... And also the freebsd has a nice cursor in console-mode instead of the block-cursor... These are just small, picky details but yet they are pleasing

Linux Newbie
    Well, I actually like the block cursor, but I can understand how the little pointer helps make things less ambiguous for the user.

ama
    Just Joined!
    Linux also has a block cursor, though, this is not a good reason to choose an operating system.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ama
    Linux also has a block cursor, though, this is not a good reason to choose an operating system.
    Sure it is! I don't care how good a system is...if the interface drives you nuts, it's impossible to get any real work done. I mean, come on--it's always there.

(serious note: How DO you change to the block cursoer in linux?)

So the BSD / Linux differences have already been established.

I don't want to start a flamewar, but I just want to point out to the OP that (IMO) the BSDs I have played with a bit are more secure than Linux after the default install.

What I mean by this is there are a couple little things that go a long way:
    1. Standard OpenBSD installation shuts many services by default. If you want them, you have to turn them on.
    2. High-security FreeBSD installation does the same. In addition when you create a new user they are not automatically in the group that allows them to su.

Both OSes are very slick, I just think BSD thinks more in terms of security for novice users. (Although I suppose not a lot of novice users will want to bother with it in the first place.) Linux can be made very secure as well, but it's just a different mentality for a default install.

Linux Newbie
    I too found BSD to be very solid, but I must say that I'm quite impressed with Fedora Core 3. Out of all the distros I've used in the past, it seems more security-minded than the others. I find selinux by default (in targetted mode) to be rather interesting, and Apache is definitely configured much more conservatively and securely than my Apache server was on FreeBSD.

heh heh, actually what i really like is that you can hit the scroll-lock key and scroll down to read text that has gone off screen.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Engineer
    be careful with this link as to acertaining which os to use.
    Code:
    http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php
    it is a bit biased for bsd, but does contain some useful information.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by serz
    No, BSD is UNIX, and Linux being a UNIX-like system it has similarities.
    BSD and Linux are both UNIX-like, UNIX is a trademark onwed by The Open Group.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast