Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by techieMoe I'll post the error messages as soon as I get back home (I'm at work). I do know that I specifically installed the Linux compatibility package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'll post the error messages as soon as I get back home (I'm at work). I do know that I specifically installed the Linux compatibility package when I installed FreeBSD, and my /boot/loader.conf does contain the linux_enable="YES" line.
    Sounds good. The FreeBSD bootloader should be loading linux.ko for you before boot time (you might want to double check with kldstat after the boot process as has finished). Also, have a look in your /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf files for any entries about linux. There may be none (because my memory is a little rusty), but it's worth investigating since I forget if anything beyond simply the kernel module requires loading.

Well, apparently the linux_base package is already installed, but I'm still missing some libraries. I'll play around with it some more this weekend.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie

Well, I hope there's something we're forgetting, because in the event that you DO have everything set up right (and it's still not working), then fixing it is going to be a can of worms. You may have to go on a quest of uninstalling/reinstalling things until something starts working.

I appreciate FreeBSD's stability, but in my years of running it I have run into a few disasters regarding screw ups in software libraries and packages (ports isn't perfect). Good luck!

Linux Newbie
    Java is easy to install on FreeBSD, but time consuming.

# cd /usr/ports/java/jre15 (I think it's called that in ports)
    # make install

Do everything the errors tell you to do, you have to fetch patches and jre source code from sun and this other site, it's pretty straight forward. You can get Neverwinter Nights running I hear, but I don't know how.

My biggest problem with FreeBSD on my home computer is how much the ports system relies on an internet connection. That's one luxury I don't have on that box.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Ah, you may have a problem then

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jam
    Ah, you may have a problem then
    I've found TBZ packages for a few things, but I've not found anything resembling a comprehensive collection that I could download to, say, several CDs or a DVD like the packages for Debian. That would be very nice. I'll eventually get an internet connection on this machine, but because of where I live it will be a very very slow one.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Collection? Well, I saw one before here: http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/f...u7Et&mv_pc=147

But I think that's the 4.x version, and it seems to be sold/shipped by "freebsdmall"... Maybe you find a 5.x version somewhere too?

EDIT: If you want source, I think I found where freebsd hides it's distfiles: ftp://ftp.freebsd.com/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/

EDIT2: Even if you have slow line, if you have trouble with finding some free collections, have you tried pkg_add with "remote fetch" or something turned on? I think it's with the -r flag or something...

EDIT3: I think I found the binary collection as well, here it is: ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/

Spectacular! I'll try those out. Thanks a lot.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    umm.. the nwn linux client is in the ports tree games/linux-nwnclient... so if you install using that, you shouldn't have to muck about with brandelf and whatnot...
    Code:
    ls -d /usr/ports/games/linux*
    that will list all of the games that run in linux compat that have made it into ports on fbsd... otherwise, there is a ridiculous list of native games and amusements in /usr/ports/games/
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast