Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I didn't see this question asked in the forum yet, so I thought I'd throw it out here. Recently I've had much success getting FreeBSD 5.4 installed and running on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Running Linux apps/games in FreeBSD

I didn't see this question asked in the forum yet, so I thought I'd throw it out here. Recently I've had much success getting FreeBSD 5.4 installed and running on my multiboot system, but I've run out of things to do with it.

Usually when I run out of things to do, I play games. Problem is, all my commercial games are for Linux. I've been told that you can run most any Linux program in BSD relatively easily, but I haven't been able to find any useful tutorials on how to do so. (Before you ask, yes, I have read Chapter 10 -"Linux Binary Compatibility" in the FreeBSD Handbook).

My main concern is getting Neverwinter Nights, Doom 3, NingPo Mahjongg, and MarbleBlast Gold running in FreeBSD. I did manage to get 3D acceleration working, so that won't be a barrier. Any suggestions are welcome.

As extra credit, I would also like to get the Eclipse Java IDE working in FreeBSD so that I can actually do some work on the OS as well. Games and programming are my staples on my Linux system. If I can get them running on BSD, I'm much more likely to use it more often.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    I have tried some apps in the emulation layer so far (managed to chroot into my gentoo partition from inside freebsd, but "sendmsg" and such in ping for example did'nt work...), it's just to run it like you would run a ELF-binary in linux if you have installed the emulation-layer.

*got to test it myself*

To give a bit more detail, here's what I've tried running. I attempted to run the Neverwinter Nights Client (nwn) using the brandelf -t Linux command I found in the FreeBSD Handbook. It told me that the program I was trying to run was not an ELF executable. I have not yet tried running the installation scripts for the other games.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Oh - I did'nt follow the guide. But here, nothing happens with the brandelf command, but the apps (for example ping) is runned if I run /mnt/personlig/bin/ping (I just mounted gentoo to /mnt/personlig/ until I do anything more about it). Here's how it was here:
    Code:
    root@matrix#  brandelf -t Linux /mnt/personlig/bin/ping          
    root@matrix# /mnt/personlig/bin/ping
    Usage: ping [-LRUbdfnqrvVaA] [-c count] [-i interval] [-w deadline]
                [-p pattern] [-s packetsize] [-t ttl] [-I interface or address]
                [-M mtu discovery hint] [-S sndbuf]
                [ -T timestamp option ] [ -Q tos ] [hop1 ...] destination
    root@matrix#

The brandelf command does not work for this program, as I said before. The error I get is "this is not an ELF executable".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    What I meant was that brandelf did'nt do anything here neither, the only thing which actually did something was to try ruinning it as a normal binary - by either ./name_of_file or /full/path/to/name_of_file...

But that was just a suggestion thought, it's not sure it would work... Also, you said install script, you are sure it's not a script like... bash or something?

Linux Newbie
    My experience has lead me to believe that you simply execute the binary. Provided linux.ko is loaded (or built into the kernel) and you have one of the linux environment thingies installed. I've only run a few programs this way...one of them was the nethack linux binary release, and the other was the linux counterstrike server; both ran remarkably well, but I would have hardly expected there to be compatibility issues with those two.

What exactly is the problem? Is it that the binaries are simply not executing?

Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    What exactly is the problem? Is it that the binaries are simply not executing?
    Yes, if I try to just run them as I would on a Linux system, I get errors (which may be due to libraries that are missing, I'm looking into that). So I tried "ELF branding" from the handbook which also doesn't seem to work.

I just downloaded the linux_base-8 packages from the Ports collection, so I'll install it tonight and see if that lets me "just run" them.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    What do the error messages say? It could be libraries...if you haven't got a linux base installed, I do recommend that. Usually one gets provided during the system installation if you choose linux compatibility in sysinstall, but I forget exactly what is supposed to happen. Ports gives you some extra choices in that area...I remember seeing redhat and debian bases available. I'm not sure of any particular merits of using either, or how they differ from the standard linux base.

I'll post the error messages as soon as I get back home (I'm at work). I do know that I specifically installed the Linux compatibility package when I installed FreeBSD, and my /boot/loader.conf does contain the linux_enable="YES" line.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast